Will my Macbook plan work?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by timROGERS, May 17, 2009.

1. timROGERS macrumors member

I've seen all the talk about either:
    a) the Macbook White getting taken away at WWDC and not being replaced at the same price point
    b) the Macbook White price increasing in UK due to exchange rates

I'm keen to buy my Macbook White at the current price, but ideally I don't want to buy it yet - I want to buy it as late as possible but still get the price I want.

Would it be possible for me to go into my local Apple Retail UK on 8th June (WWDC keynote day) and buy a Macbook White? I would then not open it up, and watch the keynote in the evening. As long as nothing better comes up (eg. MacBook Aluminium at same or slightly higher price), I would just keep the one I've bought, and if it does, I just go back to the shop and return it unopened, and get the new one.

Will this work? Hopefully I will just buy the Macbook White and keep it though and none of my plans will be necessary. What is the Apple UK Retail returns policy?

2. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

Provided you buy the standard configuration, ie no hard drive or memory upgrades, you can return it within 14 days, even if you open it.

3. timROGERS thread starter macrumors member

That's cool. I don't want to open it anyway as I'm in the middle of exams and don't want to distract myself :D Do you think it is a reasonable plan?

4. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

I used to have the last revision of the Black Polycarbonate MacBook, it's a good machine. The latest incarnaton of the white MacBook is a proven design and will last you many years, it is Snow Leopard ready.

Many will say the base Alu is better, and it is, but is it worth the extra cost? Especially if you are on a budget? Probably not.

Good plan, I don't think they will upgrade any MacBooks at WWDC, more likely in the weeks following (in the wake) but it is possible I suppose.

If it isn't then just buy it, you can always be waiting for an upgrade!

I'm surprised there are no white's in the refurb store, maybe there haven't been that many returns, a good sign!

5. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

Macbook white is a great machine. timeless Apple design and with the 9400M graphics, it one capable fella'

6. timROGERS thread starter macrumors member

Just spoken to my local Apple Store and I can return it unopened with 14 days :) The plan shall go ahead!

7. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

You can still return it even if you open it. But if it's open, they'll charge you a 10% "restocking" fee. If it's unopened, there's no return fee.

8. gertruded macrumors regular

The white Macbook comes with 667 mh DDR2 memory, but will take 800 mh DDR2 memory, and run at 800. The alum one takes 1066 mh DDR3.

I just purchased a white Macbook refurb and it is really great. I added 4 gb of 800mh and a 320 gb 7200 rpm HD. Both the memory and the HD replacement are dead easy to do.

9. timROGERS thread starter macrumors member

How can I prove my school status in the UK?
    Would it be okay if I just brought a sheet from school saying my grades for this year?

EDIT: Just spoke to them - they say I need a letter from my school saying I am a student, which may prove quite difficult :p I will try!

10. bassanoclapper macrumors 6502

bassanoclapper

There's one on there now for £629

White MacBook Refurb

11. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

So there is! Not sure about the return policy for refurbs though...

You can use the education store online, I think they just check random customers. I think in store you may be able to convince the staff with some sort of student card.