Will my MacBook Pro come with Snow Leopard or Lion?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Simplicated, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

I just ordered a 15" MacBook Pro from a local authorized reseller and I chose to upgrade its display to the high-res display. They told me it would take 21 business days to deliver to the store for me to pick up.

Now I wonder, since Lion has been announced to be released on 14 July, whether my MBP will come with Snow Leopard or Lion (since I do not want to use Lion... yet). Please tell me if you have any idea. Thank you!

2. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

3. ReddDraggon macrumors member

14th July? Where'd you hear that?

4. keantan macrumors regular

As Vudoo said, it will probably come with Snow Leopard, however, due to it being very close to the release date for Lion, Apple will probably (not certain but pretty likely) give those who bought near the release date a free upgrade. I am due for a freebie too. Which is always nice : )

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Any Mac bought after 6th June 2011 will get a free upgrade to Lion.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

6. Simplicated thread starter macrumors 65816

Simplicated

That's what I think too, I really do hope it comes with SL...

Sorry, I was fooled by a linkbaiting website called 9to5Mac. When I read the article, they actually said their "reliable source" told them it'd be 14 July.

Yep, I will download Lion and decide when to upgrade... (Either way I already have the GM :p)

7. kyle1320 macrumors regular

kyle1320

There are 2 sources that say Lion will be released on the 14th, and one that says iOS5 will be available on July 6th, the same day the iPhone 5 will be announced. Hope these dates are right.

8. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

it will come with snow leopard with a free upgrade to lion imo.

9. schizbomb macrumors 6502

As a developer testing iOS 5, I can pretty much tell you there is no chance it's coming out in July.

10. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I'm in the exact same situation as the OP, I ordered a 15" MBP today with the higher resolution anti-glare screen. They wouldn't give me a date but probably within two weeks they said. I'm expecting it to come with SL but if Lion is released really soon you never know. Since it's a free upgrade anyway it doesn't really matter though.

11. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

It is nice the upgrade will be instantly available for download when Lion is released.

12. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

It will come with Snow Leopard and a free upgrade for Lion.

13. Simplicated thread starter macrumors 65816

Simplicated

The benefit of having SL preloaded is that we'll be able to choose when exactly to install Lion, based on various aspects like stability. I might install Lion when it reaches .3, and definitely not at .0, if it comes with SL.

14. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Yeah, wonder how long we have to redeem the code from the App Store though? Might only have like 30-days after release anyway.

I'll probably jump to Lion when it's released (if the new MBP has arrived), I can't usually wait for these types of things :p

15. Simplicated thread starter macrumors 65816

Simplicated

We could just download it and then delete it. It remains in the Purchases tab in the Mac App Store so we can re-download it later. :p

16. HelloPanda macrumors member

17. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

and it's horrid, I can see I won't be booting into 10.7 much, if at all.

18. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

Actually, the rumor is that Lion will be released on July 6th. Since it went Gold Master yesterday, it's a definite possibility. July 14th is honestly too close to Apple's quarterly earnings call (on the 19th) to release new products. As far as iOS 5 goes, they said at WWDC that it would be available in the fall, so anytime in July or August would be too soon. Most likely, we'll see a new iPhone/iPod Touch announcement in August, with the devices and iOS 5 to be released in September.

19. Young Spade macrumors 68020

... What else would it come with? Lion isn't out, how would it come with anything BUT snow leopard? I'm all for posting topics to find information but a quick google search or just reading a random topic around here would give you the same answer.