Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MarkGibbons

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Hi there, Last week I bought a brand new Macbook Pro, 13" - Mid 2012' model with 16GB's of RAM, I had asked if theres a way to do HDMI Input, for things like my PS3; The sales-rep responded with "Yes." and took me to this converter, A MOSHI HDMI Converter to be precise. I had purchased it for $79.99 - A week later, I'm testing it out, my PS3 is plugged in, but I cannot find how to use it, so I start searching for instructions, but I cannot find any, just people whinging that there is no audio output (which doesn't affect me, I only want it for input!)

Question being in small: Can I use my MBP 13" As an Input, with my device, like I was told?

alstrike

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2011
Spain
No you can't.

The only laptops capable of doing HDMI input are the Alienware m17 and m18, at least those are the ones that I can think of.

Go back to the shop, return the Moshi adapter and get your money back.

It's really irritating to find people who don't have a clue about what they are selling...

Comment

MarkGibbons

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
No you can't.

The only laptops capable of doing HDMI input are the Alienware m17 and m18, at least those are the ones that I can think of.

Go back to the shop, return the Moshi adapter and get your money back.

It's really irritating to find people who don't have a clue about what they are selling...

Thankyou for the answer. I wont be purchasing another laptop, especially alienware, I'll cut my losses and realize the fact that I'll never get HDMI input - even though apple proved they could easily do it on there 27" iMac. Fair enough I spose.

- On another note, I cannot get a refund, I bought the MBP and Moshi HDMI Adapter on my holidays, somewhere, far away. My fault, silly me.

Comment

intermedial

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
The adapter you have won't do it (as already stated), but there are other things you could buy that would allow you to do this. See http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/models/ for some.

Anyone who pays $300 for an Intensity just to connect their console to their Mac for regular gaming is going to be very disappointed with the results (there is no audio and it doesn't go fullscreen).

This is a device designed for video capture. It's not a workaround for an HDMI input.

Comment

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
Poole, England
Anyone who pays $300 for an Intensity just to connect their console to their Mac for regular gaming is going to be very disappointed with the results (there is no audio and it doesn't go fullscreen).

This is a device designed for video capture. It's not a workaround for an HDMI input.

Yes, I've one of these for a specific purpose (video capture), but I wouldn't say this is a solution for playing your PS3 with a notebook screen, especially considering what I could buy for the same price (£220).

Example:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/25-l...tor-digital-2-x-hdmi-scart-1920x1080-50000001

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.