Will my Macbook Pro (Mid 2012) do HDMI input (With a moshi HDMI adapter?)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MarkGibbons, Jul 5, 2012.

1. MarkGibbons macrumors newbie

Hi there, Last week I bought a brand new Macbook Pro, 13" - Mid 2012' model with 16GB's of RAM, I had asked if theres a way to do HDMI Input, for things like my PS3; The sales-rep responded with "Yes." and took me to this converter, A MOSHI HDMI Converter to be precise. I had purchased it for $79.99 - A week later, I'm testing it out, my PS3 is plugged in, but I cannot find how to use it, so I start searching for instructions, but I cannot find any, just people whinging that there is no audio output (which doesn't affect me, I only want it for input!)

Question being in small: Can I use my MBP 13" As an Input, with my device, like I was told?

2. alstrike macrumors regular

alstrike

No you can't.

The only laptops capable of doing HDMI input are the Alienware m17 and m18, at least those are the ones that I can think of.

Go back to the shop, return the Moshi adapter and get your money back.

It's really irritating to find people who don't have a clue about what they are selling...

3. MarkGibbons thread starter macrumors newbie

Thankyou for the answer. I wont be purchasing another laptop, especially alienware, I'll cut my losses and realize the fact that I'll never get HDMI input - even though apple proved they could easily do it on there 27" iMac. Fair enough I spose.

- On another note, I cannot get a refund, I bought the MBP and Moshi HDMI Adapter on my holidays, somewhere, far away. My fault, silly me.

4. ray648 macrumors regular

5. MarkGibbons thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! Now I know it exists, I'm happy, but $300.00 is a little steep for me, thanks though! :)

6. intermedial macrumors newbie

Anyone who pays $300 for an Intensity just to connect their console to their Mac for regular gaming is going to be very disappointed with the results (there is no audio and it doesn't go fullscreen).

This is a device designed for video capture. It's not a workaround for an HDMI input.

7. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Yes, I've one of these for a specific purpose (video capture), but I wouldn't say this is a solution for playing your PS3 with a notebook screen, especially considering what I could buy for the same price (£220).

Example:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/25-l...tor-digital-2-x-hdmi-scart-1920x1080-50000001