Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EMILinator

macrumors member
Original poster
i heard somewhere that since windows vista home basic is a resource hog, the macbook will work harder, unlike OS X which uses minimal of the hardware. the fan will turn faster (~1800rpm when idle) and the cpu temps will go up (100-120 degrees F when idle).

What would the average fan speed and cpu temp be when running windows vista home basic in boot camp?

And can i buy the OEM version of windows vista home basic and will it run in boot camp? what are the disadvantages of an OEM version?

Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
i heard somewhere that since windows vista home basic is a resource hog, the macbook will work harder, unlike OS X which uses minimal of the hardware. the fan will turn faster (~1800rpm when idle) and the cpu temps will go up (100-120 degrees F when idle).

What would the average fan speed and cpu temp be when running windows vista home basic in boot camp?

And can i buy the OEM version of windows vista home basic and will it run in boot camp? what are the disadvantages of an OEM version?

Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

The OEM version can only be installed on one computer ever. So even if you erase the windows partition on your macbook you cannot install the OEM on any other computer later.

Sorry I don't have any direct stats for you about the temps and fan speeds, but I'll just say that the increase in fan speed is noticeable.

EMILinator

macrumors member
Original poster
The OEM version can only be installed on one computer ever. So even if you erase the windows partition on your macbook you cannot install the OEM on any other computer later.

Sorry I don't have any direct stats for you about the temps and fan speeds, but I'll just say that the increase in fan speed is noticeable.

So if i erased the windows partition on my macbook, i can't re-install it again on the same macbook? or i CAN re-install it, i just can't install it on any other computer?

EMILinator

macrumors member
Original poster
You can re-install it on the same computer.

Also from what i've heard, if i upgraded my RAM from 2GB to 4GB after i installed windows, it wouldn't recognize the extra 2GB?

Or let's say i uninstalled windows, upgraded the RAM, then re-installed it, it wouldn't install because the hardware changed?

sorry if that's a little confusing. i don't remember where i got all of this. :rolleyes:

sash

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2004

Hi,

Actually, you can do it, but you are not allowed to.

sash

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Hi,

Actually, you can do it, but you are not allowed to.

sash

Guess I broke my OEM copy of Windows's EULA a few times over. I installed it on four computers :)

Not all at once, though, it's only on one computer at a time. Never had a problem with activation though. I only install it on a new computer after six months after I installed it on any other computer - the activation thing resets after six months, see.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Also from what i've heard, if i upgraded my RAM from 2GB to 4GB after i installed windows, it wouldn't recognize the extra 2GB?

Or let's say i uninstalled windows, upgraded the RAM, then re-installed it, it wouldn't install because the hardware changed?

No that's a 32 bit Vista issue, this is as close as Microsoft ever gets to "forcing" you to use the 64 bit version. The problem with that is that 95% of Windows Vista users use the 32 bit version so not everything works with the 64 bit version.

I use Vista Home Premium on my Core Duo MacBook and it runs fine and uses the same amount of battery as OS X so I don't imagine Home Basic will be a problem.

The OEM edition is fine as long as you are only using one machine.

EMILinator

macrumors member
Original poster
Okay, so if i install windows oem on my macbook through boot camp, i can uninstall it and then reinstall it on the same macbook OR on another computer correct?

And my macbook will use about the same power from my hardware as it would with OS X? (lets just say when it is idle)

sash

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2004
Okay, so if i install windows oem on my macbook through boot camp, i can uninstall it and then reinstall it on the same macbook OR on another computer correct?

Technically -- yes, no problemo. EULA will not be happy with another computer though.

And my macbook will use about the same power from my hardware as it would with OS X? (lets just say when it is idle)

I think windows drains the battery faster than Mac OS.

EMILinator

macrumors member
Original poster
Technically -- yes, no problemo. EULA will not be happy with another computer though.

I think windows drains the battery faster than Mac OS.

Oh okay, i'm not too worried about battery consumption, as i always have my macbook plugged in. i just don't want the fan to spin twice as fast and the CPU to get fried because vista uses more power to operate, even while idle. :rolleyes:

sash

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2004
Oh and didn't Apple release drivers that helped Vista running on Boot Camp lower its temperatures? Or some kind of driver that helped reduce temperature when running Vista on Boot Camp...

Have never heard about that to be honest...

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark

sorry if that's a little confusing. i don't remember where i got all of this. :rolleyes:

No that's a 32 bit Vista issue, this is as close as Microsoft ever gets to "forcing" you to use the 64 bit version. The problem with that is that 95% of Windows Vista users use the 32 bit version so not everything works with the 64 bit version.

I use Vista Home Premium on my Core Duo MacBook and it runs fine and uses the same amount of battery as OS X so I don't imagine Home Basic will be a problem.

The OEM edition is fine as long as you are only using one machine.

Please do some research.

It is a limitation with 32-bit systems where the memory range from 3.2GB to 4GB is reserved for the hardware.

2^32 equals 4,294,967,296 bits, so 32 bits can address 4 GB of memory.

A 64-bit system alleviates this problem by supporting up to 2^64 or around 16 exabytes.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
If you're gonna worry about temps in Windows, then its best not to install it at all. The system is capable of cooling itself off by itself, without any user intervention. As long as you dont limit the fans or overclock and such, teh system will NOT overheat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.