Will my MacBook work harder when running Windows Vista Home Basic w/Boot Camp?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by EMILinator, May 9, 2008.

1. EMILinator macrumors member

The Biggest Little City In The World, USA
    i heard somewhere that since windows vista home basic is a resource hog, the macbook will work harder, unlike OS X which uses minimal of the hardware. the fan will turn faster (~1800rpm when idle) and the cpu temps will go up (100-120 degrees F when idle).

What would the average fan speed and cpu temp be when running windows vista home basic in boot camp?

And can i buy the OEM version of windows vista home basic and will it run in boot camp? what are the disadvantages of an OEM version?

Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

The OEM version can only be installed on one computer ever. So even if you erase the windows partition on your macbook you cannot install the OEM on any other computer later.

Sorry I don't have any direct stats for you about the temps and fan speeds, but I'll just say that the increase in fan speed is noticeable.

3. EMILinator thread starter macrumors member

So if i erased the windows partition on my macbook, i can't re-install it again on the same macbook? or i CAN re-install it, i just can't install it on any other computer?

4. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

You can re-install it on the same computer.

5. EMILinator thread starter macrumors member

Also from what i've heard, if i upgraded my RAM from 2GB to 4GB after i installed windows, it wouldn't recognize the extra 2GB?

Or let's say i uninstalled windows, upgraded the RAM, then re-installed it, it wouldn't install because the hardware changed?

sorry if that's a little confusing. i don't remember where i got all of this. :rolleyes:

6. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

Hi,

Actually, you can do it, but you are not allowed to.

sash

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Guess I broke my OEM copy of Windows's EULA a few times over. I installed it on four computers :)

Not all at once, though, it's only on one computer at a time. Never had a problem with activation though. I only install it on a new computer after six months after I installed it on any other computer - the activation thing resets after six months, see.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

No that's a 32 bit Vista issue, this is as close as Microsoft ever gets to "forcing" you to use the 64 bit version. The problem with that is that 95% of Windows Vista users use the 32 bit version so not everything works with the 64 bit version.

I use Vista Home Premium on my Core Duo MacBook and it runs fine and uses the same amount of battery as OS X so I don't imagine Home Basic will be a problem.

The OEM edition is fine as long as you are only using one machine.

9. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

I believe even sooner -- 90 days.

10. EMILinator thread starter macrumors member

Okay, so if i install windows oem on my macbook through boot camp, i can uninstall it and then reinstall it on the same macbook OR on another computer correct?

And my macbook will use about the same power from my hardware as it would with OS X? (lets just say when it is idle)

11. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

Technically -- yes, no problemo. EULA will not be happy with another computer though.

I think windows drains the battery faster than Mac OS.

12. EMILinator thread starter macrumors member

Oh okay, i'm not too worried about battery consumption, as i always have my macbook plugged in. i just don't want the fan to spin twice as fast and the CPU to get fried because vista uses more power to operate, even while idle. :rolleyes:

13. EMILinator thread starter macrumors member

Oh and didn't Apple release drivers that helped Vista running on Boot Camp lower its temperatures? Or some kind of driver that helped reduce temperature when running Vista on Boot Camp...

14. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

Have never heard about that to be honest...

15. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Please do some research.

It is a limitation with 32-bit systems where the memory range from 3.2GB to 4GB is reserved for the hardware.

2^32 equals 4,294,967,296 bits, so 32 bits can address 4 GB of memory.

A 64-bit system alleviates this problem by supporting up to 2^64 or around 16 exabytes.

16. EMILinator thread starter macrumors member

okay.. for those of you with macbooks C2D, what are your temps and fan speeds when running windows vista/xp? and state which version!

17. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

If you're gonna worry about temps in Windows, then its best not to install it at all. The system is capable of cooling itself off by itself, without any user intervention. As long as you dont limit the fans or overclock and such, teh system will NOT overheat.

18. EMILinator thread starter macrumors member

well sorry i'm so concerned about the condition of my macbook. maybe if it was some cheap PC i wouldn't care as much.

19. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

If your worried about Temps in Vista/XP try this