Will my MBP be fixed for free, or can I expect a huge bill?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thegrandmaster, Dec 11, 2008.

1. thegrandmaster macrumors regular

thegrandmaster

Salutations, fine folk of Macrumors!

I am in the unenviable position of having a Macbook Pro encountering serious graphical difficulties. Attached are some photos of said problems, for the last month or so sometimes my laptop has been running fine, but 'patterns' such as appear all over my photos showed up and froze everything but the mouse.

My laptop is out of of warranty. I purchased it in June of 2007, from the Apple Store in the Trafford Center in Manchester.

From these pictures: can anyone tell me if this is the '8600m GT 'dying'' or if they're going to tell me that it's something else and plant me with a massive bill for the magical 'screen colouring in' pixie box, that can only be replaced by a Wizard-clone of Steve Jobs himself? The laptop has been taken in a couple of months ago, when I first experienced weird 'patterning' and it passed the 8600m GT test, which has me worried, leading to my final question of the hour:

In short: from your experience, do you think this laptop be repaired free of charge? Are the issues it displays the ones covered by the extended warranty program?

Attached Files:

2. metroid87706 macrumors regular

metroid87706

Yes.

This is from the 8600GT failure, and will be replaced free of charge.

Best way to know is take it in and see! ;)

3. thegrandmaster thread starter macrumors regular

thegrandmaster

Thank you,

I'm definitely going to take it in, I just wanted some kind of hint as to what to expect, whether this is likely to be replaced as a failed 8600m, or if they were going to try and screw me.

All other takes, and concurring opinions are appreciated.

Thanks

4. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

yep...take it in and have them check it, but it sure looks like the gpu failure to me. they will fix it for free if that is the case. good luck!

oh...and demand they repair it for free. don't let them bs you and say it's not the gpu.