Will my MBP dent affect my AppleCare warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by metroid87706, Dec 14, 2008.

1. metroid87706 macrumors regular

metroid87706

I bought his used off Craigslist for $1075 (Guy works at Apple, and can get a new MacBook for cheap with his 25% discount, so he sold it to me for a nice low price.) , and it as fine and beautiful except a dent on the back. It won't void my warranty, will it? Nothings wrong with it, but I figured if my GPU ever failed, or something happened, that they might deny me or something for accidental damage?

Attached Files:

2. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I don't really think so. I have a few much smaller dents and they didn't affect my applecare. Now if you start having screen problems and an Apple worker finds that the dent is the cause then you would be sol imo.

3. macffooky macrumors regular

My March '08 MBP has a dent on the lower right top and I've been wondering the same thing. I've been considering making an appointment with a Genius and getting him/her to check it over and make a note on the account that all's kosher.

I didn't even make the dent...it was one of my kids but I don't know which one. I suppose I could torture the youngest and hope the culprit has a conscience and would come clean but that's probably contrary to some human rights legislation or other. Political correctness gone mad...

4. Tofaha macrumors 6502

I don't think it will either...i have a dent on the right side near the power button, and i've taken it to applecare for something and they didn't ask :)

5. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Maybe there's a way for them to check it out now, and then sign off on it saying that it was working nicely with the dent. Then if you ever had a problem you could just be like "it was fine with the dent". But then again, the dent could have caused some underlying issue that was just waiting to come out. I don't know, just thinking out loud here.

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

That's much more than just a "dent", it's more like damage. The rear casing and plastic hinge stop is pushed in severely. Looks like it was dropped. Generally what's considered to be "dents" are due to dings from being inside of a backpack but that thing was dropped.
    It's a 50/50 chance that any warranty repair would be honored. You said it still has a warranty? If it's an extended Applecare then make sure that the seller transfers the Applecare into your name or it will not be honored.
    To be honest you paid $1075? That's a bit high.

7. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

I would second HLdan's comments - you would be lucky to not have warranty coverage challenged as a result of that damage.

8. metroid87706 thread starter macrumors regular

metroid87706

Its not under AppleCare, just its warranty from purchase. I will be buying AppleCare before it runs out, (Dec. 25th).

Maybe I should take it in and maybe have them OK it?

And how is $1075 high? I see these sell for 1300 - 1500......
    I mean, I know that MacMall has a good deal on that 2.4 Penryn, but I'm only 15, and it was local. I only had cash, and my mom doesn't order online.