will my mbp fans still speed up?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jugglemyplums, Sep 6, 2008.

1. jugglemyplums macrumors newbie

I have been running smc fan control for several months now on my mbp and I haven't had any problems with it but I just have one question about it that I haven't found an answer to. I have my minimum speed at 2000 and it seems like it never leaves that point and will get up around the 140 degree (F) range with just normal use (web browsing, word processing, music playing). Will the fans still speed up automatically when the computer starts getting really hot? I have never really seen a change in my fan speed. Perhaps the computer just hasn't gotten hot enough. What is the point that the fans are supposed to start speeding up automatically and will smc fan control interfere with this? I don't want my computer to fry because the program is keeping the fans from automatically changing speed when they are supposed to. Thanks in advance.

2. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

i have tried that program and found that it did not seem to work well for me. i got rid of it and let os x handle it and i have had no trouble at all. the fans speed up when needed (up to 5200 rpm) and slow down when needed.

3. jugglemyplums thread starter macrumors newbie

My mbp is an older model (2.0ghz) and the minimum fan speed was 1000 rpm, which was letting it get pretty hot. I just wanted to be able to set the minimum a little higher. It's worked great I have just never seen the fans speed up any. The highest temp I have seen it at is around 150 degrees.

4. ajhaji macrumors regular

I used to use that program. It only changes the MINIMUM fan speed. Your computer will still increase the fan speed when it needs to, but then when it slows down it will only go as slow as you have set.

5. jugglemyplums thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Does anyone know what the temperature is where the os makes the fans speed up?

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Good question.

I've seen it get plenty hot and wonder why it doesn't kick the fan on.

I havn't seen any concrete documentation but i've ruled out temperature alone since my MBP generally gets nice and toast and i'll hear the fan quietly kick up to about 3-3.5k rpms.

I think it may be some combination of Voltage+I/O throughput (cpu and/or video)+temperatures since running any of the extreme CPU benchies will make the fans come on quickly.

I'm sure someone on these boards knows for sure.

7. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

It is basically if the laptop reach a certain temp, the fans go up. I don't know the exact number but it seems to be around 70 deg C before the fans start to speed up for me. Sometimes, it can reach as high as 80 deg C. It seems more of a combination of the CPU and Enclosure sensor that determine if the fans require speeding up or not.

8. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

60C (140F) isn't super hot...if it gets up to 70 or 80C without spinning up after a minute i'd be worried.