Will my Mini Display Port to Dual Link DVI Ever Arrive, and when so, will it work?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bella92108, Jan 2, 2009.

1. bella92108 macrumors 68000

Okay, this is more of a rant, but maybe someone will know something to at least give hope...

I bought my Late-2008 MBP on the day it came out. I had to buy the $1 adaptor (Read: $30 US Apple Dollars) just to be able to use the mini display port into my Dell 24" monitor.

For Christmas I got a Dell WFP3007, their high-res 30" screen. Much to my surprise, it won't get the 1920 x 1200 that my present dell gets plugged into the DVI adaptor, it gets something like 1200x800 (which is just useless).

To make matters worse, as you're all aware, Apple decided (yeah, if you can't control your production and release a model before the adaptors necessary to use it, that's a choice) to release the macbook pros with the silly new proprietary port "mini display port" that nobody else in the industry is using.... but hey, they'll license you on it free, whoopeeee.... So in anticipation of getting my new monitor I ordered this adaptor early december and was told it'd ship xmas eve... yeah not so much in fact, now it says "Estimated shipping 01/12" ...

My biggest fear is all the issues that people seem to be having with their adaptors. I'm afraid when it DOES show up it won't work right.

I can understand apple trying to be innovative and I applaud them for that, but make sure if you sell someone a $2000 monitor and a $3000 laptop that you don't "upgrade" them into inability to use the equipment.

Bad planning Apple, bad bad Apple.

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I agree with your general sentiment, but they do sell a monitor that works perfectly with the new laptops. You however were given a monitor that neither company claimed would work with the other's product.

That $2K monitor you mentioned made no claim to work with the new laptops so you can't honestly be upset that it doesn't.

I do find it ridiculous that Apple didn't have a MDP > DVI adapter ready when they released their new standard.

3. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

And I wonder if there is any other dual-link capable system *other* than an Apple that fails to support the Dell?

I think that we're all pretty used to monitors being generic - as long as the system and the monitor agree on resolution and refresh rate and protocol, it'll work.

Except for Apple proprietary connectors, of course.

ps: Of course the need for a Dual Link DVI adapter is absurd - where's the Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort adapter? The Dell has native DisplayPort with a standard DisplayPort connector.

4. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm fairly certain Apple DOES NOT have a 30" monitor today that works on the new MBPs... but regardless... they intend for them to work, but they failed to meet their manufacturing timelines... :-(

5. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm not going to argue the connector... much like many of the things apple does, they are different, often proprietary, but then they do their damn best to make it work with the rest of the world... they've always quickly come out with adaptors and converters, this is an exception to their norm. I'm just disappointed this time because they really missed the mark.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Looking at how delayed their earbuds were, I'm not surprised they are probably going to be late by another few months.

7. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

ALL Apple stores received their shipments of this part yesterday. The glitch is persistent! HORRID APPLE, HORRID!!!! Turn the screen off then on and it'll be all garbled!!!

8. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Well delayed products could always mean Apple has been working on something much bigger and better. We can only hope. ;)