Will my old lenses work?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by eawmp1, May 30, 2009.

1. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I've searched and have gotten conflicting data. I am looking for some friendly advice.

I have Nikkor lenses (50mm f/1.8 AF and 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5DIF AF) I bought with an N80 several years ago. After consumer digital got good enough I used several point-and-shoots, primarily for their convenience. However, I an thinking of getting a DSLF and want to know if this glass 1) will be fully functional (including autofocus), and 2) have technologic advances made getting new lenses with a digital body more sensible? Thanks for your input in advance!

PS - I am/was an advanced amateur (when I shot film) who wants to get back into quality, not necessarily convenience.

2. Taelia macrumors newbie

They'll only work for some bodies. I don't think they AF for the D40/D60 bodies, but do on others (I know that the D200 does).

Crop bodies can make lenses that are supposed to be "normal" (like the 50mm) on a full frame become a short telephoto (75mm), short telephotos into medium telephotos (24-120 -> 36-180), etc.

Essentially, it all comes down to which body you get.

3. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

They'll work with autofocus on any Nikon DSLR that's not named the D40/60/5000. They'll work manually on any Nikon DSLR.

The N80 is a splendid camera, by the way, and I own one myself. I like shooting with it more than I do my D300, if you can believe it.

4. toxic macrumors 68000

just for clarification, the focal length does not change, only the angle of view. a 50mm lens on a film camera is still 50mm on a D300, but it has the angle of view of a 75mm.

the meaning of this is that the 28-105 will be somewhat of an awkward focal length, and the 50 isn't so great of a general-purpose prime any more.