Will my plan to get the iPhone work out?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fugue, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Fugue macrumors 6502

After a long 4 year wait Verizon finally released the iPhone! And I must say, using the Droid for a year was a grueling experience.

Anyways, back to my question. My roommate and I share a Verizon plan and our contracts end on the following dates:

xxx-xxx-xxxx (roommates cell number) - Currently eligible for early upgrade according to verizon website.

yyy-yyy-yyyy (my cell nubmer) - Upgrade available on 8/30/11.

Since he is not phone savvy like me will I be able to do the following: Upgrade for the iPhone 4 on Feb 3rd using his upgrade and swap our numbers? Meanwhile, he will be getting my old Droid in return. Then when 8/30/11 hits and the iPhone 5 will presumably be out I can upgrade using my upgrade and swap numbers again, this time giving him my iPhone 4?

I'm not really sure how the system works, thanks!

2. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

You must have a nice roomate for him to give you his upgrade and he gets a droid for 7 months.:D

3. Fugue thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, yes he is :D

Anyone know the answer to my question?

4. rndthm macrumors newbie

5. akkkmed macrumors 6502

Yes you can. Verizon lets you freely swap upgrades among the lines on your plan. I believe you must activate the phone on the line with the upgrade (when you first get the phone), and then you can swap the phone using the My Verizon website.

6. vabunuc macrumors member

why not wait till summer and get the iphone 5?

7. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

If you and your room mate are on the same plan you can do what you want between each other. I have 5 people eating out of my family plan that I use for my company and I use their upgrades all the time.;)

8. Fugue thread starter macrumors 6502

Because it is not guaranteed to come out for Verizon. Because I don't want to wait. Because I can get the iPhone 4 now and the iPhone 5 (if it does come out) in August.

9. Fugue thread starter macrumors 6502

10. OrganMusic macrumors 6502

Similar situation here, my wife and I had to get new cheapie dumb phones about a year ago (since though we liked the ones we had, bluetooth had stopped working on both).

Now VZ says my upgrade elegibility isn't until september and I'm not interested in waiting that long. Anyone know what they're going to make me pay? I've been a VZ customer for over 10 years; Are they really going to make my pay a huge ETF just so I can hugely increase my monthly bill (adding 2 data plans) now instead of later?

11. akkkmed macrumors 6502

It's DEFINITELY worth calling them and talking to them about it. Explain to them that this will increase your plan by ~$60 and have them look at your history (on-time payments, 10+ years, etc.) If they won't budge the first phone call, then ask for their supervisor and/or call back.

This worked for us this past summer. Two lines were 9 months before their upgrade, both of which were "dumb" phones. After a few phone calls, someone immediately upgrades both lines after she checked out our history. It didn't hurt that both lines were going to smarphones as well.

12. OrganMusic macrumors 6502

I was thinking of stepping into a larger store to discuss this, but you think I'll do better calling in to customer service? I hate doing stuff like this over the phone, but if it will work better I'll do it.

I was hoping to get this straightened out ahead of time so I can place my order on Feb 3 (or whatever it is) without too much trouble.

Thanks for the tip, that's encouraging.

13. Fugue thread starter macrumors 6502

Depends on the employees mood and the manager of the location. They can be lenient of brutally harsh. Theoretically you are not allowed to get the upgrade, but they CAN bypass the system.

14. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Instead of doing it over the phone or in person, why don't you first check things online?

If you haven't already registered, go to vzw.com and choose My Verizon at the top right. Register.

Then you can swap phones just using *228 and your PIN. You can swap upgrade eligibility. You can change your plan any time you want without extending your contract. You can order new phones and have them the next day via FedEx. You can also see every single call you make, how much data and when, etc.

Everyone should be registered, on any carrier. It makes life a lot easier.