will my speakers work in the US?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by redrabbit, Aug 10, 2006.

  1. redrabbit macrumors 6502

    Aug 8, 2006
    So after living overseas in Asia for a few years, I am going to start college in the United States. While I was overseas, I bought a nice set of speakers/subwoofer to go with my mbp.

    The thing is, the voltage of the two countries is different. I know for a fact that electronics from the usa dont work in Asia because its going from 110 volts to 220 v (as I unforunatly found out with my xbox). I'm wondering is what about products from Asia to the US. I don't want to try plugging them in and testing. They are labeled 220 V, 50hz, and 50W on the back. Will I break them if I plug them in? Can I buy a transformer or something to convert? Thanks for the help
  2. spencecb macrumors 6502a


    Nov 20, 2003
    All you need to do is buy an adapter that converts the wattage. You can get something like this at most electronics stores. Just explain that you are coming from Asia to the US so that way you get the correct converter.
  3. bearbo macrumors 68000


    Jul 20, 2006
    usually for the power adapter, there's a range of voltage that it takes... e.g. for most laptops, it works all over the world because the adapter takes from somewhere aroudn 100 to 250. check if your speaker's adapter covers 110
  4. spencecb macrumors 6502a


    Nov 20, 2003
    While this may be true, you will still need a converter for ther plug to fit the outlet to provide your epuipment with power. Just because the equipment itself can handle the wattage difference doesn't mean you will not have to buy the correct converter.

Share This Page