Will My SSD Work with a 2.0 USB Port?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JasonMovieGuy, Dec 25, 2013.

1. JasonMovieGuy macrumors regular

So for Christmas I got an external SSD (Monster Digital Overdrive 3.0)

I own a late 2010 Macbook Pro, that sadly (and weirdly) only has 2.0 USB ports. So you can imagine my disappointment when I plugged in the drive, and transferred some movie files. I waited for 2-3 minutes per file.

A few questions:

1. How can I use this external drive to the best performance? I just want to store data and movies. I like that it's solid state so that will make the files last longer. Will the files still last long on here despite the fact that they were transferred from a 2.0 USB?

2. Is there a way I can buy a separate 3.0 USB Port for my macbook that's portable?

3. I keep hearing about FireWire ports. Not sure which one my Macbook has, but this SSD won't plug into it. I'm confused as to what to do now.

Should I just return this until I can buy an updated Macbook Pro that has 3.0 USB Ports? Or keep it, since it's still 256GB SSD and will keep my files safe. I mean it's just a matter of transfer speed right? Or will it not function properly ?

2. rapicell macrumors regular

It may be a 3.0 drive, but it's limited to 2.0 speeds when connected to your macbook. If that isn't going to be a problem, then you have nothing to worry about.

As for firewire, that's a different port than USB and thus requires a different cord. It's faster than USB 2.0, but nothing compared to usb 3.0

3. JasonMovieGuy thread starter macrumors regular

Great, thank you! I don't mind the slower transfer speeds until I get a newer computer. As long as my files are better preserved on the SSD, that's what I care about.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Better preserved? What do you mean? SSDs are not immune to failure and can be just as reliable as hdds. If you aren't moving the devices around muh, I wouldn't worry

5. Doward macrumors 6502a

Is there any chance you have the 17" model with the express card slot?

If so, I installed 2 USB 3.0 ports (average ~95 MB/s) into my 2011 17".