Will my USA bought iMac work in London

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by goodwill, Aug 25, 2008.

1. goodwill macrumors regular

Hi I am planning a move to London in the next few months and was curious as to whether or not if the iMac G5 24inch will work/be compatible in London. I did a quick search on the forums and couldn't find an answer to this so I started this thread.

I have not found or received a clear/precise answer on whether or not my USA compliant iMac will be able to handle the power requirements in London or even be able to function/turn on etc. If anyone has any insight and advice on this I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

goodwill

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

From Apple's website here:http://www.apple.com/imac/specs/

"Line voltage: 100-240V AC"

So all you will need is a new power cord so the plugs will fit.

This has actually been the case on iMacs for a very long time. back as far as the G3 iMacs.

3. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Don't worry, it will function and turn on, just have make sure and have the correct power adapter as strider said.

4. macwall macrumors 6502

as long as you have the right outlet/plug it'll be fine

5. goodwill thread starter macrumors regular

is this something i can just purchase off of apples website or should i wait until i am in london to get this?

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Just get a plug adapter at the airport or somewhere - no need to get a whole new cable.

7. weckart macrumors 68040

A new cable at somewhere like Poundland will be cheaper than an adaptor at the airport, though.

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree, I have bought spares in airports (you will probably pay an extra price, yes, but at least, you will have them to hand the minute you land at your destination), or an Apple shop will have world wide adaptors; any decent electrical shop should stock them. Cheers.

9. g4cubed macrumors 6502a

g4cubed

I don't know why but that damn traveling gnome (from Travelocity) where he plugs something into the wall and gets shot across the room came to mind when I read this. :p