Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IEngine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
i installed mywi from cydia and it asked me to reboot the iphone so i hit the home button then closed the program.

any one installed mywi on 4.2.1, should i reboot then boot with cydia tethered hack using my PC ?

thanks

Mandelbloom

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2010
It works, but if I need to reboot un-tethered my phone gets stuck at the apple screen and never boots. Anyone else see this issue?

tazzy8907

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
Cheshire, UK
You can't boot untethered with a tethered jb. Pay attention.

Actually... you can boot it untethered I had to a few times while sorting out cydia... if you boot untethered tho, none of the jailbreak apps work. I know what Mandleboom was talking about... happened to me 2 or 3 times... unfortunately, while trying to sort it out, I put my ipad into recovery mode, and had to restore it, so I have to jailbreak it again and re-install mywi, hopefully I get it right this time.

PS: I was was so scared for a few seconds when it was in recovery mode cuz it looked like it was off, and I thought I bricked it cuz it wouldnt' turn on either :p

lvpd742

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2011
Actually... you can boot it untethered I had to a few times while sorting out cydia... if you boot untethered tho, none of the jailbreak apps work. I know what Mandleboom was talking about... happened to me 2 or 3 times... unfortunately, while trying to sort it out, I put my ipad into recovery mode, and had to restore it, so I have to jailbreak it again and re-install mywi, hopefully I get it right this time.

PS: I was was so scared for a few seconds when it was in recovery mode cuz it looked like it was off, and I thought I bricked it cuz it wouldnt' turn on either :p

Even if its in recovery mode you can use redsn0w and have it boot just force shut down and immediate reboot with redsn0w :)

Is there a way to avoid this though, just in case of an emergency if I don't have my laptop with me, so that I could get the iphone to work even w/o cydia/cydia apps?

VeNoMiZeD

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
San Francisco
Excuse my ignorance, but I have an Iphone 4 with the most recent update. I just bought a Macbook Pro that I would like to have internet access with using my Iphone. If ATT would allow me to get unlimited data with tethering I would of gladly paid. But they want me to lose my current unlimited data thats on my Iphone 4 and cap me at 2GB. So my question is:

Is there a jailbreak available for my situation? or Im I stuck like most other people. I'm getting a little confused with some of the post. If someone can confirm with me it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
FWIW, on my iPhone4 MyWi sometimes produces an error message at start up indicating (paraphrased) the MyWi environment has not been established and presents 2 options; Cancel or Reboot. Not ReSpring, but Reboot. If this happened on a tethered jb, you'd be SOL.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
Excuse my ignorance, but I have an Iphone 4 with the most recent update. I just bought a Macbook Pro that I would like to have internet access with using my Iphone. If ATT would allow me to get unlimited data with tethering I would of gladly paid. But they want me to lose my current unlimited data thats on my Iphone 4 and cap me at 2GB. So my question is:

Is there a jailbreak available for my situation? or Im I stuck like most other people. I'm getting a little confused with some of the post. If someone can confirm with me it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
If you were able to get an iPhone 4 with an unlimited data plan, keep it!!!

What version of the iPhone OS are you running? You can jailbreak your phone and install MyWi and use that to tether your unlimited data plan to your MacBook Pro. That is what I'm doing with my iPhone and iPad unlimited data plans.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
How does one force shut down from a boot loop? All I can get it to do is start the boot all over again.

Is this for the tethered 4.2.1 jailbreak?

Launch iTunes. Hold down the power and home button, when the screen goes Black, keep holding down the home button until you see iTunes say it has detected an iPhone/iPad in recovery mode. Quit iTunes. Once in recovery mode launch Redsn0w and select "Just boot tethered right now" to get it to boot jailbroken.

coachnitka

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2010
Chicago
Is this for the tethered 4.2.1 jailbreak?

Launch iTunes. Hold down the power and home button, when the screen goes Black, keep holding down the home button until you see iTunes say it has detected an iPhone/iPad in recovery mode. Quit iTunes. Once in recovery mode launch Redsn0w and select "Just boot tethered right now" to get it to boot jailbroken.

Yes it is for the tethered 4.2.1 JB on iPhone 4. So in order for "just boot tethered right now" to work, my phone can be either powered down or in recovery mode. Either one will work?

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
Yes it is for the tethered 4.2.1 JB on iPhone 4. So in order for "just boot tethered right now" to work, my phone can be either powered down or in recovery mode. Either one will work?
Not powered down. It needs to be in recovery mode to run the tethered boot. You did say you were getting the boot loop trying to reboot it normally?

coachnitka

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2010
Chicago
Not powered down. It needs to be in recovery mode to run the tethered boot. You did say you were getting the boot loop trying to reboot it normally?

Yep. I was able to install Cydia and reboot tethered just fine, but when I go to install PKGbackup and restore my packages I obviously have to reboot. After installing those packages and rebooting, I would get the boot loop.

The reason I ask about having iPhone OFF is because of the instructions on Redsn0w telling you to make sure it's off. I didn't know recovery mode would work as well. Thank you.

Jkazmeyer

macrumors regular
May 2, 2010
Madison TN
This is the reason I haven't updated.... I use mywi very regularly, & it probably asks at least once a day for a reboot... I can't be bothered with a tethered jailbreak. My phone is fine on 4.1, but I'm sure getting anxious to update my iPad.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
This is the reason I haven't updated.... I use mywi very regularly, & it probably asks at least once a day for a reboot... I can't be bothered with a tethered jailbreak. My phone is fine on 4.1, but I'm sure getting anxious to update my iPad.

I have my iPhone on 4.1 with MyWi installed. My iPad is on 4.2.1 with the tethered jailbreak. I've had to reboot the iPad maybe 3 times since the tethered jailbreak came out. It hasn't been an issue for me because twice I rebooted at work and once at home. I have redsn0w on both my work and home machines so it was simple enough to boot it tethered.

VeNoMiZeD

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
San Francisco
If you were able to get an iPhone 4 with an unlimited data plan, keep it!!!

What version of the iPhone OS are you running? You can jailbreak your phone and install MyWi and use that to tether your unlimited data plan to your MacBook Pro. That is what I'm doing with my iPhone and iPad unlimited data plans.

I have firmware 4.2.1 with unlimited data with the Iphone 4. Which program is best for me to Jailbreak with so that I can get MyWi to thether to my Macbook Pro? Thanks!

VeNoMiZeD

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
San Francisco
So before I do this I have a question. So if I use redsnow jailbreak you mentioned and if Im on the go and for whatever reason my phone gets stuck or needs to reboot? What happens? Is the phone useless until I get home and load redsnow again?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
So before I do this I have a question. So if I use redsnow jailbreak you mentioned and if Im on the go and for whatever reason my phone gets stuck or needs to reboot? What happens? Is the phone useless until I get home and load redsnow again?

Yes, you will need to connect to a computer in order for it to start again.

stryderkid

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2011
Help with mywi 4

Hi I need some help, My iphone 4 on 4.2.1 jailbreak goes to apple logo when I try to use the USB tether on mywi 4, I have also been able to use tethering for a bit then out of nowhere the iphone reboots and i am stuck with a brick until I get home to my computer with redsnow and firmware to boot tethered. Does anyone know why this might be happening as I am now afraid to use mywi4 outside of my home in case I get stuck without the use of my phone. Thanks in advanced!:)

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Hi I need some help, My iphone 4 on 4.2.1 jailbreak goes to apple logo when I try to use the USB tether on mywi 4, I have also been able to use tethering for a bit then out of nowhere the iphone reboots and i am stuck with a brick until I get home to my computer with redsnow and firmware to boot tethered. Does anyone know why this might be happening as I am now afraid to use mywi4 outside of my home in case I get stuck without the use of my phone. Thanks in advanced!:)

I had the same problem before the latest release of MyWi.

Why did you upgrade to 4.2.1 and the tethered jb?

stryderkid

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2011
I had the same problem before the latest release of MyWi.

Why did you upgrade to 4.2.1 and the tethered jb?

I purchased my iphone 4 yesterday....it came on 4.2.1 :( so not exactly my choice....my luckily my sister had her's so I popped my sim card in her iphone 4 so I can tether as I type this (she's doesn't have unlimited data like me) any suggestions? I'm on the latest release of mywi I believe --- it's v4.12.6 is that the latest??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.