Will New Airs Require New Cases?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by goomba478, Jun 12, 2012.

1. goomba478 macrumors regular

Hey guys, after about one year of waiting for the new Macbook announcements, I've finally decided on a 13" MacBook Air (even though until last week I was still thinking I'd get a MacBook Pro). My question to you all, especially those of you who have picked up the new Airs, is will the old cases work with the new Airs? It's my understanding that the body is virtually the same, but I hard someone say the USB ports were moved to opposite sides now. So should I wait for a new case, or will existing ones do?

I have to wait a week to purchase anyhow as I haven't fully decided whether or not to get the 128 or 256 GB model...Thanks in advance, and sorry if anyone else asked this question (I checked the forums and couldn't find a duplicate entry).

=JJ=

2. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

The USB ports haven't changed (aside from going from 2.0 to 3.0). There's always been one on the left and one on the right.

Only thing that changed is the MagSafe port. It's version 2.0. But that shouldn't affect any hard case really, since most (if not all) of them just leave a gap exposing the MagSafe port, USB port, and headphone port (like this http://store.apple.com/us/product/H...NDA2Ng&fs=m.macCompatibility=13inchmacbookair)

3. goomba478 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks so much KylePowers, I knew of the upgrade to USB 3.0 (something I'm really excited about since I have a couple external USB 3.0 harddrives) but didn't know the Airs always had one on each side. Thanks for the info and I'll definitely be checking out that case you recommended. I really appreciate it :).