Will New Apple TV learn IR?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jcuecker, Sep 10, 2015.

1. jcuecker macrumors newbie

I'm very excited that the new Apple TV will control Volume and TV input as this has been one of my biggest gripes with the existing unit. My understanding is that the ATV will turn on a TV and set it to the correct input via the HDMI-CEC protocol.

I assume (and hope) that it will control the volume with the IR transmitter on the remote so that it can change volume on a TV or Receiver/Amp.

Now I'm also assuming that the reason the ATV unit itself has a IR receiver is so that it can learn the IR signal (for volume UP and DOWN) from my original Receiver/amp/TV remote. Once it has learned them it tells the Apple TV remote what IR signals to emit when the volume buttons are pressed.

Now, the remote doesn't have many other buttons to control other aspects of my receiver/amp. Perhaps this is wishful thinking, though I see no reason this couldn't be easily implemented, could the above be used in conjunction with Siri to control all the other functions of my original remotes? For example if I can teach all or some of the other buttons on my original remote to the new ATV it would be awesome if I could say "Siri switch receiver to blueray input" or "Siri open the TV menu" etc. and then have the appropriate IR signal blasted from the ATV remote.

Thoughts?

2. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

The reason the old ATV unit had a IR receiver was so you could use your existing IR remotes to control ATV. I don't believe the old remote has capability of learning or storing commands for other components, there's not enough keys or options on the old remote to make it useful anyway.

I'm guessing the new one doesn't either. But Siri does at least open a lot of possibilities for control that would make it a great idea. But the main obstacle is having the ATV 'talk' to the remote and teach it the codes/commands for your other components.

3. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

How exactly will this new remote control volume or switch inputs? I know of HDMI CEC but according to SONY it only works with their products and i am assuming other TV manufacturers are the same

4. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

My LG TV that I bought 3 years ago is HDMI-CEC compatible. So it's obviously not just Sony.

5. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

On the old ATV3, you could teach it to accept any remote. In the menu system, there was page where it asked you to go through the up, down, left, right, play, menu, etc. buttons, and you pressed the corresponding buttons on any remote and it would learn them and map them accordingly. I think what they meant is that the new ATV will have the same functionality.

6. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

Yes and my 5 year old Sony is HDMI-CEC compatible, BUT according to Sony it will only work with other Sony products, last time I checked Apple was not a Sony product. I did not say HDMI-CEC was A Sony only thing.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

These (in bold) are all just the various brands names for HDMI-CEC and it works across brands. I don't have any specific experience with Sony, But I watch a signal from DirecTV, through a Denon AVR to a Sharp TV and it can all be controlled with HDMI-CEC.

From Googling a bit it looks like people are using their Sony TVs to control non-Sony devices over HDMI-CEC, so maybe Sony just wants to sell more Sony products. Who knows.

8. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

I hope you are right because if not I will be juggling remotes

9. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Yea, I won't to continue using my Receiver's remote like I do now with AppleTV.

Siri and swipe is great... but if I where I'm going. Like back into Netflix to continue a tv series... I can click to that just fine on my own.

10. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

I control my BD player and Apple TV via my sony tv remote. For the Apple TV I had to use the learning function in the Apple TV and the remote can't play/pause my Pioneer BD player.

11. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

I just hope i can use the Apple remote to control the TV volume, but i have no faith in it working correctly

12. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

Why not? I should just send the commands via IR.

13. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

Thought it uses HDMI-CEC for that? My Comcast Remotes are IR and the only way to control the TV is using codes

14. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

I found this regarding IR support.
    http://variety.com/2015/digital/news/apple-tv-fast-fun-limited-1201589244/

"But the real killer feature may just be integrated volume control. The remote integrates with modern TVs with a technology called CEC, which makes it possible to control the volume for any app or game. The Apple TV remote is even capable of turning on the TV itself, and also works with older TVs thanks to IR, so Netflix fans really don’t have any reason to search for their TV or cable remote anymore."

15. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

I have no source for this but I believe HDMI-CEC is for input switching/power and the IR blaster is for volume.

16. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

Correct. HDMI-CEC will power on the TV and set the right input. Volume is controlled via built-in IR.

17. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

Thats the impression i got . not sure how that will work, like i said my Comcast remote is IR and only way it woks with the TV is if i input a code. Maybe the same for the Apple remote

18. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

Your Comcast remote is not learning. Just like eveyrthing else made by Comcast - it's a nasty user experience that makes you enter IR codes.

I assume new Apple TV remote learns a couple of IR codes for Volume-UP and DOWN, and that's how it's going to work.