Will new base rMbp be as good as my 2010 macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hakimm, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Hakimm macrumors member

Hi,

Im having to return my i5 2.4 ghz 8gb SSd macbook pro to apple, although being given a new computer i am going to sell it as i dont believe i need the extra specs they have given me. I am looking into buying only what i need.

I find that my macbook pro 2010 is more than capable for what i want to do but since it is now 4 years old i cant get my hands on a new and dont want to risk buying it second hand and am therefore only looking at brand new macbook pros, which as of now on ebay are models from 2012 ( non retina and retina. )

It may sound silly but would any of the models show worst performance overall than my current laptop? I know this is a very subjective question as it based on what i use it for (which is occasional 3d modelling and photoshop alongside web browsing film watching etc...). But im just curious as to if a 2.0 ghz 8 gb base model late 2013 version be as good overall even though it a "lower" processor and doesn't have a second graphics card?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not sure what you're using it for, but my 2012 rMBP is much more capable then my 2010 MBP. What things did the 2010 MBP did better then your rMBP?

3. Hakimm thread starter macrumors member

I dont have a rMBP at the moment so i cant really say what my computer does better. But i just dont want to buy a base model version of one the retina computers for it perform worse than my current MBP.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm pretty sure the improvements intel built into Haswell means, that it will be faster then the Arrandale chip found in the 15" MBPs that apple released back in 2010. More so if you are referencing the Core 2 Duo chips in the MacBook and 13" MBP.

5. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

even the slowest air is on par or better than your 2010 model. there is literally not a single point where the 2010 macbooks are faster/better than the late 2013 retina MBPs!

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

The slowest, base model air is a more powerful computer than your 2010 MBP. I think you won't find any current laptop lacks the performance you're afraid to lose.

7. Hakimm thread starter macrumors member

so the fact that say my processor is 2.4 and the potential one i may buy is 2.0 would not make a difference?

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

No. In the early 2000's, the clock speed (Ghz) really did mean something as far as performance went. Nowadays, with things like new architecture, turbo-boost, more cache and all that, the clock speed really doesn't tell the whole story.

If you want to know how computers compare, geekbench is a good source. It is a benchmark which rates computing power. The higher the number, the more powerful the machine.

The 2010 MBP with a 2.4Ghz core i5 scored roughly 4800 points.

The 2013 rMBP with a 2.0GHz core i7 scores about 10800(225% increase in power)

The current base model 11'' macbook air scores 5600 or so, or roughly 15% more powerful than your current machine.

9. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

and not only CPU speed increased. the Iris Pro in the base model runs circles round the 2010s 330m, the SSD offers probably a 700% speed increase over the old HDDs. Furthermore speed is increased at the ports (usb 3 and thunderbolt) wifi (ac standard) as well as faster RAM.
    So again: the 2013 retina Macbooks are superior to the 2010 Macbook in every way