Will new chip & board architectures coming for MBP leave current models in the dust?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rawdawg, Apr 11, 2009.

1. rawdawg macrumors 6502

Everything gets outdated. Advancing technology always wins in the battle to stay current..

I don't have the money to upgrade as often as most of you appear to. But I really need to buy a MBP now. I've recently bought a new camera (5D mark ii), an expensive one but had to buy it for work. Huge RAW files (30MB) and most importantly large H.264 HD video files I will be editing since video is a large part of my work. For me camera technology is more important than computing power, it's my business. But my new MBP will need to last.

Forgive me but I can't keep up with computer technology, camera tech changes fast enough and I can barely keep up to date. With all this talk about Nehalem it seems like a pretty big deal. Admittedly that is because I don't remember hearing open talk in these forums about similar architecture advancements. So I'm assuming this is something really special.

Can someone please enlighten me? I've read up on wikipedia and seems there's a lot of exciting stuff happening in the future, but I'm not learning if this level of advancement has been happening all along.

I.E. Are these coming advancements bigger than normal and does that mean current models will not be the long lasting investments they were in the past in light of what is coming? Should I buy an older used MBP and upgrade once newer 32nm technology and fancy shiny new chips are out?

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

if you have the money i would say get it now. it is pretty futile to try and wait for the next best thing when it comes to computer technology especially. even if you do wait and get the "new shiny one" the next best thing will be around the corner then again. so if the current uMBP does everything that you need it to then just get it and dont even worry about what is coming later.

3. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

4. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

Computers and Photography are in the same boat. You just can't depend on what the future may bring and even than it may not actually be better in real world use. Things like this you can't worry about and the need to work and play is today. It's like waiting for your kids to grow up, it never happens there still the same kid. :D