Will new IMac with Adobe Ed version CS2 work okay??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pamela1117, Aug 19, 2009.

1. pamela1117 macrumors newbie

I have been reading some stuff about 32 bit vs. 64 bit and Adobe CS2 suite when upgrading to a new computer.

My question - I currently have a Mac mini G4 with 1GB memory and 1.42 GHz processor .....sad, I know. I would like to continue to use the Adobe CS2 with a new IMac, but am scared about compatibility issues. I realize the speed will be less on a new Mac because I don't have the duo core version of CS2.

Any suggestions as to what I should purchase, and is the 32 bit thing a big deal with the software and new IMac? I don't plan to upgrade Adobe since I'm a novice.

Thanks for any help you can pass along.

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Number of cores doesn't necessary mean 32bit or 64bit. OSX is always 64bit.
    CS2 is a 32bit app for Mac. There isn't a 64bit version.

2 issues you have:
    1. CS2 isn't universal so you have to run in emulation mode on a new Mac.
    2. Some apps in the CS2 suite don't support Leopard.

3. pamela1117 thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe buying an older refurbished G5 might be a solution? I really don't want to upgrade to CS3, and realize there are compatability issues with Leopard from what I'm reading. What is your experience if any with refurbished Macs?

Thanks for your response.

4. DaWooster macrumors member

A refurbished G5 should work fine for you.

On the other hand, You've also got the choices of CS3 and CS4. If you're a student, or perhaps one of your children are, you could get a decent deal on it. Particularly on CS3. Granted, it's Adobe, so you're still dealing with highway robbery.

5. Bluebox22 macrumors newbie

From the software side of things, I've recently been working with Adobe's Student Editions of Creative Suite 4 and the current deal is a pretty significant discount (up to 80% off):
    http://studenteditions.adobe.com/products/index.php

Also I've had a refurbished G5 for a few years now -- haven't had any problems with it at all!