Will new iPad suffer from same checkerboarding issue?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by stylinexpat, Mar 11, 2012.

1. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

I am curious as to whether or not the new iPad will suffer from the same checkerboarding issues the iPad and iPad2 suffered from. They did up the RAM by 512 this time around but I wonder if it will be enough as the screen resolution is now much higher and programs are also a bit larger as well.

Thoughts from others.. :confused: I ordered a new one and if it still has the same issues the iPad and iPad 2had I'm going to be quite unhappy.

2. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

I don't think anyone is 100% sure until the new iPad is torn apart, but we believe it has 1GB of RAM.

As for the checkerboard, I think Apple nipped that across all devices with iOS 5 and I don't see it coming back.

3. hleewell macrumors 6502a

What screen size on a smaller 1024X768 iPad needs to be in order for it to be a retina display?

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Checkerboard? I haven't seen any checkerboading on my iPad 2 in a while.

5. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

At first blush, one would say 'half as big'. Technically true, except that a smaller screen means you would hold it slightly closer to your face. Thereby meaning it might need a higher resolution or needing to go slightly smaller to compensate.

6. JUiCEJamie macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

I remember the difference between my iPad1 and iPad2, and to what I can remember, almost every single page would reload or have the dreaded checkerboard there.

Then on my iPad2, I honestly can't remember that happening, ever.

So, if the new iPad has a 512Mb with all those extra pixels to add to its save state? I'm a little on the fence.
    But, I like to think Apple has added an extra 512Mb to stop this.

We'll see... :):)

7. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

Well the iPhone 4 is 960 pixels in its longest dimension, so with 1024 pixels, not much bigger than that, maybe 4-5 inches.

8. BergerFan, Mar 11, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012

BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

One or two iOS iterations back, they replaced any checker boarding, with a blank white, to act as a visual trick.
    I haven't seen that on my iPad 2 much, only very briefly, when in a low memory situation.

9. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

Same here

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

It's fixed! :cool:

11. stylinexpat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everyone..

Will see what happens when one opens 2-3 tabs,switches between tabs and starts to scroll down after.