Will New iPhones ship with Qualcomm modems...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by browser740, Jul 31, 2017.

1. browser740 macrumors member

Since Apple has challenged Qualcomm and NOT paid on ten year old contracts... Will Apple have or be able to sell iPhones with Qualcomm Chips?

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I doubt anyone here would know the answer to the ongoing litigation question.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hope so but I think they will try to use Intel as much as possible like last year.

4. mk313 macrumors 6502a

It would seem like they'd have to if they plan to offer one that works on Verizon and sprint. Intel doesn't offer the cdma fallback option.

5. chilman macrumors regular

chilman

Whatever the outcome between qualcomm and apple. Iphone will move forward. Intel is a very capable company and without a doubt can produce better proccessors than any brand. Apple also has superb engineering and technology, apple will layout what they want to intel. Intel will develop and engineer apple's standard. If I was qualcomm, I would try my best to keep a mega gaint company like apple.

6. Xgm541 macrumors 65816

This is only partially true. While Intel CAN create great technology, much of the technology required by apple is patented under Qualcomm so no CDMA support from Intel. Also, getting into the mobile chip market is incredibly expensive and Intel has officially scaled back on mobile SoC plans as of last year.

I believe Intel will be back "in the game", perhaps when 5G becomes a widespread standard (do Qualcomm patents extend to 5G?)