Will New iPhones ship with Qualcomm modems...

browser740

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2017
Since Apple has challenged Qualcomm and NOT paid on ten year old contracts... Will Apple have or be able to sell iPhones with Qualcomm Chips?

mk313

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
It would seem like they'd have to if they plan to offer one that works on Verizon and sprint. Intel doesn't offer the cdma fallback option.

chilman

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
Whatever the outcome between qualcomm and apple. Iphone will move forward. Intel is a very capable company and without a doubt can produce better proccessors than any brand. Apple also has superb engineering and technology, apple will layout what they want to intel. Intel will develop and engineer apple's standard. If I was qualcomm, I would try my best to keep a mega gaint company like apple.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
Whatever the outcome between qualcomm and apple. Iphone will move forward. Intel is a very capable company and without a doubt can produce better proccessors than any brand. Apple also has superb engineering and technology, apple will layout what they want to intel. Intel will develop and engineer apple's standard. If I was qualcomm, I would try my best to keep a mega gaint company like apple.
This is only partially true. While Intel CAN create great technology, much of the technology required by apple is patented under Qualcomm so no CDMA support from Intel. Also, getting into the mobile chip market is incredibly expensive and Intel has officially scaled back on mobile SoC plans as of last year.

I believe Intel will be back "in the game", perhaps when 5G becomes a widespread standard (do Qualcomm patents extend to 5G?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.