Will new MacOS run on rMB 2015?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mortenjensen, Jun 17, 2016.

1. mortenjensen macrumors regular

Does anyone have an idea about how the new macos will run on the 2015-mb? I am afraid the new features such a siri will cause glitches and stretch the system beyond its limits.
    What to expect, you think?
    Morten

2. Gpulvi macrumors member

Gpulvi

Yes, according to Apple, all MacBook models since 2009 will run Sierra. As soon as the first public beta appears, I think we'll have some comments about Siri and how the retina MacBook 2015 handles it.
    I don't think Apple will make a machine that turns to be obsolete just one year (or two OSs) later.

3. asoksevil macrumors 6502

I think OP was asking more about "how will it run" instead of "will it run".

From my experience after 6 years of using a Mac, the best performance you can get it is almost always the very same OS your laptop shipped with. Internal testings and QA was done on the current one, not the one releasing a couple of years later.

4. Gpulvi, Jun 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2016

Gpulvi macrumors member

Gpulvi

Well... I had a rMBP 15 that shipped with Mavericks and the best OS I've used in it was El Capitan.
    Previously, I've had a non rMPB 13, came with Snow Leopard and worked better with Mountain Lion.
    And before that, an old faithful black MacBook, originally shipped with Tiger and working flawlessly with Snow Leopard (Lion was really awful).
    Based on my 10 year experience, new OS tend to improve performance, but there's always exceptions, like Lion, Apple's Vista...

5. KPOM macrumors G5

It will be fine. Don't worry about it.

6. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

There are always glitches with any new OS release and why many pro users do not upgrade immediately, for the majority it makes little difference and should certainly not affect hardware as new as the rMB,s

7. iSheep5S macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

Pretty sure you should get 7 years support. Unless apple made a mistake releasing a low powered machine. I doubt that tho. Don't worry.

8. ShionoyaTamaki macrumors 6502

What if apple abandons x86 and switch macbooks over to iOS & custom apple arm chips? iPad pro A9X cpu is getting almost as fast as the core-m.

9. iSheep5S macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

I highly doubt that.

10. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

When Apple switched from PowerPC to x86 in January 2006 they kept support for PowerPC for 3 1/2 years until August 2009 (correct me if wrong). The switch was also announced at WWDC the previous year.
    Expect no less if/when they decide to switch from x86_to ARM some time in the future...