Will New MB cope with editing Go Pro videos?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by daniel.w, May 15, 2015.

1. daniel.w macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am currently considering replacing my old MacBook unibody with a new machine and am looking at the 1.3 Macbook. My only concern is that it won't be able to cope with editing the odd video taken on my Go Pro 4. So would need to cope with upto 4k video editing although most is just 1080p.

Can anyone that has one advise if it will be fine for this? As my current Macbook is very jumpy when replaying this footage and I don't want the same issues with a new machine.

Dan

2. crsh1976 macrumors 6502a

It can handle it, albeit slowly - for 1080p footage at least. I wouldn't get my hopes up with 4k, it's heavy stuff for most ultrabook-class machines, and the Core M certainly isn't designed for this stuff.

I'd go with at least a 13-inch rMBP, personally.

3. troubleonline macrumors 6502a

troubleonline

Yes I didn't appreciate when i recently purchased a GoPro and shot some 4k footage on holiday that my iMac would struggle with it. Though to be fair I never gave it a huge amount of thought in advance either - as mainly purchased to replace a dead waterproof compact camera for snorkeling. It too is quite jumpy to view and am not expecting the new rMB to be better when it arrives. Will prob need to edit on my dad's edit suite and upload to YouTube (and perhaps some cloud storage for back up.) Shame as the 4K footage is fantastic quality. However still worth the hassle and I look forward to viewing the photos on the rMB (when it arrives :rolleyes:)