will new mpb restore disk work with old mb?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DPBida, Nov 26, 2009.

1. DPBida macrumors newbie

So, I've searched everywhere for the answer to this and couldn't find anything, plus this is my first Mac, so if this is a stupid question... well, let's not freak out on the newbie.

With that said:

So I finally took the plunge and bought a new 13.3" MacBook Pro (obviously running snow leopard). My girlfriend has the last generation white MacBook (running leopard) . I was curious if I could take my Restore Disk, that came with my MBP, and have her use it on her old Macbook to get her running Snow Leopard???

Again, this could be a stupid question, but she was really hoping to get Snow Leopard running on her Mac so I figured I would at least ask before I tried it. Knowing my luck, I'd try it out and it would screw up her computer somehow.
    Anyways, thanks for all the help in advance.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Did you search? This question is asked at least 100000000000 times every day.

Anyway the answer is no. It's both against the EULA and not technically possible as the disk is locked to only run on machines with the same ID.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

Be ethical and buy the snow leopard upgrade. it's not that expensive.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

29€ buys your girlfriend a Snow Leopard Upgrade Disk.

And no, you can't use your MBP Installation DVDs on a white MacBook, as the DVDs are locked to the Mac model.