will next IOS slow down the Iphone 5?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Matheew944, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Matheew944 macrumors regular

2. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Based on iOS 7 and iOS 8, yes it will slow it down. However, there are rumors that iOS 9 will be a refinement release that will focus on stability and performance improvements. If that is the case than it may actually increase performance.

3. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

We don't know, it might not if it's a performance improving update like rumors say.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

5. lamboaudi4 macrumors newbie

Maybe, maybe not...

I'm guessing if it does slow down, it won't by too much, since iOS 9 is rumoured to be all about bug fixes and performance improvements. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

6. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

7. Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

That's my main concern now, given Apple's terrible track record with simply unacceptable bugs in iOS 7 and 8. Prior to iOS 7 (essentially iOS 6 and before), I used to automatically update because Apple had excellent QA in their software releases back then. However, nowadays, the first thing I do when I see a new software release is visit MacRumors to see if it's safe to upgrade or if the device slows down even more. Apple should be ashamed of themselves.

8. oldmacs macrumors 68040

Maybe, Maybe not. iOS 8 on the iphone 5 is much better than iOS 7 was on the 4S and what iOS 6 was like on the iPhone 4. Its doing pretty well for its 2nd update. I'd say the trend will continue, as the iOS 8 on the 4S is better than iOS 7 on the 4.

In addition to that, if it is a stability/ performance fix, i'd say performance will actually stay the same as iOS 8 or improve.

9. tryphone macrumors member

Well it's supposed to be performance improvements mostly, unlike 7 and 8. I would say it would improve, at the very least not change

10. GreyOS macrumors 68030

I don't think it will harm the performance significantly. Let's look at the history.

iOS 7 slowed down iPhone 4. When iOS 7 came out, the latest generation iPhone was the iPhone 5 (for a few days, at least). Compared to iPhone 4, iPhone 5's CPU was 4x faster (two successive generations, each 2x faster than the last) and had 2x the RAM.

Similar pattern with iOS 8. It slowed down iPhone 4s; iPhone 5s's CPU was 4x faster and had 2x the RAM.

But iPhone 6 is only 2.5x faster than iPhone 5 (if you multiply the two generational improvements) and has no more RAM.

The point here is that the pace of hardware improvements has slowed down a bit. When developing new generations of iOS, they need to keep in mind the latest generation of iPhone even if they are negligent towards older ones. But as the hardware gap between the latest and older generation iPhones narrows (at least in the specs usually associated with performance, CPU and RAM), the more likely it is that iOS will run well on older generations too.

On top of that, there are rumours that iOS 9 will focus on stability and performance.

So I do think it's likely the iPhone 5 will handle iOS 9 quite nicely, and possibly iOS 10 too.

11. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

You realize that Apple can deliberately make iPhone 6 crawl and 5 run blazing fast if they chose to. So it depends on Apple software engineers and their managers who order the coders to implement a slight millisecond lag in iOS for older devices.

If iPhone 5 remains perfect after 2-3 years of update, most common people will not even bother with upgrading unless the hardware fails.

12. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

The rumors have been pointing to iOS 9 running on all current iOS 8 devices, especially considering the iPad mini with the A5 processor is still for sale.

The rumors suggest speed improvements and optimizations so that it will continue to run well and run even BETTER with reduced lag and reduced overhead RAM usage on all 512MB RAM devices.

That means the following devices which run iOS 8 will then likely run iOS 9, but BETTER than their current iOS 8 counterparts with various optimizations:

• iPhone 4S
    • iPhone 5/5c/5S
    • iPhone 6/6 Plus
    • iPod touch 5th Gen
    • iPad 2/3/4/Air/Air 2
    • iPad mini 1/2/3
    • Apple TV (latest generation)

If iOS 9 is tweaked enough that it can improve upon the performance of 8, and maybe even surpass it: it is possible but highly doubtful the following devices would receive the update:

• iPhone 4 (512MB RAM)
    • Apple TV (2nd Generation / 3rd Generation Possible)
    • iPod touch 4th Gen (only if OS is tweaked to iOS 6 levels of performance)
    • iPhone 3GS (only if OS is tweaked to iOS 6 levels of performance)

IF Apple is desperate to get rid of the "ways of the past" and get every device on a tweaked release, we could be VERY doubtful see it on:

• iPad 1 (provided iOS 6 levels of performance, or iOS 5 levels even are reached)
    • iPod touch 3rd Gen (provided iOS 6, or iOS 5 levels are even reached)

13. Matheew944 thread starter macrumors regular

I think Ipad 2 is done . It received 4 major updates.Iphone 4s wont get it for sure... and the 1 gen Ipad Mini... IOS 9- Ipad 3 and later, Iphone 5 and later

14. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Even though I HATE Apple and plan on going back to Android as soon as symmetric USB arrives on the Xperia, if they actually put iOS9 on iPad1, even though I don't have an iPad, such a move would make me a fan forever and I'd stick with Apple. They won't do it though.

15. oldmacs macrumors 68040

The iPad 2 has the same hardware as the iPad mini - and the 4S has the same hardware that the iPod touch 5 does so if the mini 1 and the touch 5 can support it the iPad 2 and the iPhone 4S should be able to run it as well.

----------

As awesome as it would be, as you say it's highly unlikely. I'll be happy if they just support the current ios 8 devices.

16. sualpine macrumors 6502

sualpine

1. Software developers do not focus on old hardware when they make changes.

2. Software developers will always choose new features over supporting old hardware.

3. Your phone is not "slowing down", it is doing more than before at the same pace.

17. GreyOS macrumors 68030

4. The gap between new and old hardware is narrowing so iPhone 5 may do well.

18. pdaholic macrumors 6502a

pdaholic

Did you say iPad 1??? I have two of them. Let me tell you, it's incredibly slow and crashes routinely due to the lack of RAM. The iPad 1 wouldn't be able to handle any of the latest iterations of iOS.

19. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Nobody knows. I know someone is ask about the battery life next...

20. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

Basically this.

21. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Even if it is a performance update, dropping A5 devices may happen anyway. It would make less devices to develop for and to make sure are in check. Could very well speed up the bug fixing and performance enhancements as a result. The gap from current iPhones to iPhone 5 isn't that much while current iPhones to iPhone 4S is. It just adds more stress to the project, but on the other hand, it could push for them to make more enhancements, improving newer devices even further. Not sure. As you can tell, I'm on the fence about this idea because I sort of spoke in a big circle

22. DiabBarca macrumors regular

DiabBarca

It is going to be slow. This is Apple's way to force people to upgrade their devices.....

23. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

There's no way Apple would update older devices like that.

They could easily continue with iOS 3.1.x, 4.x.x, 5.1.x, 6.1.x, and 7.1.x updates to tweak, improve, and patch (security-wise) older devices without the kind of effort needed to optimize iOS 9 for older devices.

Stuff like iOS 1.1.5, 6.1.5, and 6.1.6 were rare (iOS updates released after the next release was out).

Apple is very good at abandoning old hardware.

24. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

25. oldmacs macrumors 68040

While I can see there are negatives to A5 support, I'm hoping for it :p