Will nintendo release Switch without the dock?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by sza, Jun 23, 2017.

1. sza, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2017

sza macrumors 6502

The dock is sold for $89 and the switch will be $199 if nintendo decides to release the device only. Will that kill 3DS?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

3. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

The dock costs them 2$ to make, so its certainly not going to reduce the console price by 100$ if they sell it without. In fact, it would also remove the whole point of the consoles name.

Not going to happen.

4. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I could see them make a mini version of the switch that's a pure portable in the future with no dock.

5. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

They could very well be for people like me - I don't really use the dock.

They could just sell it with a charge cable as any USB charger will work (you need to use the higher amp ones for faster charging).

Will not kill the 3DS - that's a totally different and well-established platform...

6. TMRJIJ macrumors 68020

TMRJIJ

I don’t see them doing that. It negates the purpose of a ‘hybrid’ console. Plus it certainly doesn’t cost much to produce them.

7. laudern macrumors 6502a

Geeee, I'm waiting for the reverse. I want just the dock that can just play games and be no way portable.

8. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Never heard that rumor, but creating a console only Switch system would go against their new console philosophy...

9. hawkeye_a macrumors 6502a

hawkeye_a

I think I saw a headline last week which said they ceased production of the 'new' 3DS. I suppose the 'new' 2DS takes its place.

10. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

They are ending the production of the new 3DS and going forward only with "XL" models...

http://www.digitalspy.com/tech/news/a833182/nintendo-ending-production-new-3ds/

The smaller new 3DS was only available here in the US at special occasions and holidays as a special bundle (with a game pre-installed).

11. laudern macrumors 6502a

You are totally correct and there is no such rumour. Just a wish of mine. And having a Switch without the dock would also go against the philosophy. But hey, stranger things have happened.

12. hawkeye_a macrumors 6502a

hawkeye_a

I had my heart set on the smaller 'new 3DS' in white, and was so disappointed that they didnt bring that to N.America. Ended up with a 3DSXL, which I havent used in a very long time. Nice system, except I do not like the screen-door-screens.

13. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Agreed

Where I might buy the idea thats going around that Joycons cost Nintendo a lot to make, and at least starting off even sold for a loss potentially (before scale kicks in),

But the dock, nah. Nearly all of that $90 for people buying a second one, is going straight into Nintendo’s pocket marked as exponential profit.

14. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Great video on the future of Nintendo and nVidia.

They speculate that a mere upgrade to the dock (since the main unit has USB-C) and the dock can support 4K or higher framerates/textures (like the PS4 Pro)...

So separating the unit from the dock not only lowers the price, buyers can decide which dock to buy...