Will nMP memory work in a cMP?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Demigod Mac, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Demigod Mac macrumors 6502a

2. Umbongo, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2015

Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Probably, but you can get 16GB DIMMs for $150, so why buy that from OWC? For future upgrade/resale purposes?

3. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

It will work, but as Umbongo said, it's rather pointless. You can buy any dual ranked PC3-ECC-R DIMMs and they will work OK including thermal sensors. Speed does not matter as long it is 10600 or above.

4. Demigod Mac thread starter macrumors 6502a

http://www.amazon.com/Mushkin-Enhanced-Registered-Memory-971980A/dp/B00GYGPZ86

Still waiting to hear back from Mushkin if these have the thermal sensor.

5. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

As stated above, Yes they will work. As you can see from some of my prior posts, I am definitely not a fan of OWC for a lot of reasons. Mainly, faulty SSDs.

My RAM supplier since 1986 has been:

http://www.datamemorysystems.com/dm61-785/

I can not recommend them highly enough. They have a Lifetime warranty. In all those years, I have never gotten a bad stick of RAM from them.

Lou

6. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Thermal sensor is part of the JEDEC spec, that is why no one mentions it. Only Apple ever made a deal out of it.

7. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

What good is a warranty if I never get to use it?

;)

8. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

^^^^That's a Tough one to answer:eek: But, at least in my case, I have been happy to never have to use it.

But, actually that's not quite true. A couple of years ago, I had a Transcend 8GB flash drive fail after about three years of use, they happily replaced it.

Lou

9. Demigod Mac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ordered the Mushkin RAM after calling them and confirming. (also a lifetime warranty)

I recall there being a thread on here with folks claiming that sticks without the "Apple" thermal sensor meant the Mac Pro's fans would run faster than they needed to. But if it's part of the spec, I guess that was all a bunch of hot air...?

10. Demigod Mac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Memory installed and it works. Photoshop is certainly happy now.

Probably won't go for the 56GB max because that'd take it down to single channel.