Will not boot in any recovery mode

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by Phillie14586, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Phillie14586 macrumors member

I wanted to revert back to El Capitan from Sierra because of some keyboard issues and I wanted to use a different HDD. I installed the HDD I wanted to use and did an internet recovery mode. Used a Time machine backup to reinstall the boot drive. I need to disable SIP to install the HDMIAudio kext but it won't boot to any recovery mode. I did try resetting the NVRAM, opt-cmd-P-R. That did not help. I have tried to download the installer from the App store but it won't let me. How can I get this into recovery mode? Where would I look and what would the installer be named in my Time machine backup? I am using a MacPro 5,1.

2. Oliverhay macrumors member

Oliverhay

Is the keyboard issue related to Karabina not working on Sierra, by any chance :)

When you hold down option to get into the boot options - does nothing show up? You could plug in your old hdd as an external (if you have an adabpter for Sata -USb) and boot into that drive's recovery?
    Otherwise you will need to find a different Mac and make a USB boot drive.

3. Phillie14586 thread starter macrumors member

The volume and optical drive ejection buttons don't work. I use the volume keys fairly often and the optical drive occasionally when the kids chorus teacher gives them CDs to learn from. I do have the old drive with Sierra on it. If I boot in the Sierra recovery mode with that doable SIP in El Capitan mode?
    --- Post Merged, Oct 18, 2016 ---
    I reinstalled the old drive and booted to its recovery partition. I then disables SIP and installed HDMIAudio on the El Capitan drive and it works. What is interesting is previously I could re-enable SIP and HDMIAudio worked in both El Capitan and Sierra. Now it won't work with SIP enabled.

4. Oliverhay macrumors member

Oliverhay

That seems strange regarding the SIP.
    Do you think the reason you couldn't boot into recovery on your new drive is because the recovery partition wasn't created? I think when I was installing a computer in a certain way - it also didn't make that recover partition but I can't remember why that occurred.