Will not reboot after software freeze - black screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by machepap, Aug 27, 2011.

1. machepap macrumors newbie

This is what happened: two programs I was using froze and would not force quit. I couldn't get the computer to shut down properly so I forced that by holding down the power button. When I attempted to reboot, I heard the initial vvt-vvt noise, the light on the front came on and stayed on but dim, and the screen remained black. I can feel that there is power to the machine as there is some vibration, but it never boots up. I tried holding down T but nothing is different. I tried taking out and reseating the battery, still no change.

What does this mean? Am I screwed?

I believe I'm running 10.5 something but I'm not sure.

Thanks for any help!
    Amy

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

try booting from the install DVD first, then repair permissions

3. machepap thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. I put in the install disk, which it seems to be recognizing given the noises the computer makes. But the screen remains black. Not sure what to try next. Any ideas?

4. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

What Macbook Pro do you have? The black screen makes me wonder if you have a 15" non-unibody that has the nVidia 8600m graphics card.

5. machepap thread starter macrumors newbie

It is a 15" - I'm not sure what non-unibody means and I'm not sure how to determine the graphic card.

6. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Do you have silver or black keys?

If silver, there is a good chance you have a graphics card that has gone bad. Take it in to an Apple Store and they should fix it. If you have black keys, take it in anyway and see if they can run diagnostics on it.

7. machepap thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. It has silver keys. I have an appointment with an apple store on Monday. hopefully it will be fixable and I won't lose anything from the hard drive. I've been having trouble with time machine, but that's another thread for another day.

8. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

We wish you all the best! Hopefully it is the graphics issue and they repair it for you under the extended warranty program that was set up to take care of nVidia 8600m issues.

Good luck!

:)