Will not start-up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DCB1, Feb 21, 2012.

1. DCB1 macrumors member

I have a 15" MacBook pro and am having a startup issue.

I was using it today...open it up use for a little while, close it and it would go to sleep. I picked it up one time and nothing was on the screen. I could here the fan running and the white light on the front was on. I researched online and tried all they suggested...to no avail.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Peace

2. HeadGear macrumors member

My suggestion is to hold the power button for 15 seconds and then just let the MBP sit for like 15 minutes. Then plug in the power adapter and push the power button.

See of that works.

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Reset the PRAM and reset the SMC. You can google how to for this, Apple has guides on their support site.

4. DCB1 thread starter macrumors member

Tried all of that...nothing but a blank screen, with fan running.

Peace

5. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

The GFX card could have died if the fans are running, do you get any boot noise or given a long enough amount of time for it to boot the pips from increasing volume?

6. DCB1 thread starter macrumors member

I get the normal startup sound from the hard drive(I guess) but no Mac chime and the fans running.

My brother said it may be the video card...what does that involve?

Peace

7. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

If you gave it long enough to boot, and maybe hit the play key, that would start iTunes, and it would start playing a song, if that does nothing, it could be more than just the gfx. If the gfx card is gone you'll need a new logic board, which run anywhere between $800-1500.

Alternatively your RAM could be corrupted or loose, give it a check, you can google how to based on your machine, Apple has articles on their site.