Will not sync all contacts?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by al3000, Dec 31, 2007.

1. al3000 macrumors 6502

Hi all

I am having problems getting all my contacts from address book (mac os x leopard) onto my iPhone. The majority have gone across but there are about 20 that wont budge. Does anyone have any ideas why this is? i am on the phone to mac support at the moment and they are proving very unhelpful!

Cheers

2. unity macrumors 6502a

Do you have it setup in iTunes to do all contacts, or just specific groups?

3. al3000 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, it is selected to sync all contacts. I have also tried resetting it, but still no luck.

4. unity macrumors 6502a

5. al3000 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I have numbers for all of them.. i cant seem to find a pattern for the ones that dont sync - seems to be completely random.

6. trevorfancher macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem. If you find a solution, please post it here. Thanks.

edit: I found a solution that works for me:
    * Plug in iPhone and let it finish syncing.
    * Click on your iPhone's icon in the DEVICES section on the left sidebar in iTunes.
    * Go to the Info tab near the top of the iTunes window
    * Make sure "Sync Address Book contacts is checked"
    * Make sure the "All Contacts" radio button is activated
    * Scroll down and check the Contacts box in the Advanced section under "Replace information on this iPhone"
    * Open iSync and open its preferences.
    * Click on the "Reset Sync History..." button.
    * Quit iSync
    * Go back to iTunes and sync your iPhone

This worked for me. Good luck.

7. SDTCNA macrumors newbie

SDTCNA

iPhone Address Book syncing problems

I found I had to reset the sync history multiple times as older, already deleted contacts and groups kept reappearing. Once I got Address Book stable, than, and only then, was I able to get all 811 of my contact carts to upload to my iPhone.

I also discovered that by selecting the iPhone icon in iTunes while holding the "control" key, another sync function was shown which appeared to sync better than the sync button on the lower right side of the iTunes window.

I found no simple solution here, just multiple "trial and error" functions till I found the right combinations of "events" that fixed the problem.

8. sananda macrumors 68020

9. Akaal macrumors member

Akaal

hey guys,

I had the same problem, around 100 of my 238 contacts were missing on my iPhone 3G. I opened isync and cleared the history. Once i did that I synced the contacts again, it gave me 3 options,

1. (cant remember that one)
    2. merge all data with computer
    3. merge all data on iphone

Now when first got my iphone i clicked on the first option, and later realised it didnt have all my contacts.

Ok so after syncing it, it will give u the above options, all u do is click on the 3rd one, as u want contacts on ur address book on ur mac to copy and replace your existing contacts on your iphone.

hope that helps!

10. soaerang macrumors newbie

thanks, trevorfancher! that fixed the problem for me!

11. chiefillini macrumors regular

This has been bugging the hell out of me. Thanks. Worked for me Also.

12. nasrim macrumors newbie

workaround to resync all contacts

I found an easier workaround:
    go to the contacts sync page in Itunes and disable the "sync contacts" option. let it sync.

re-activate the option and let it sync again. All your contacts will be copied...

13. dirgardare macrumors newbie

I can't get *all* my contacts synced.

I use Mac OS X hooked up to MS Exchange. The result is a contact group with the same name as my exchange mail address.

So... in Contacts, my group column shows:
    - All Contacs
    - On My Mac
    - my.exchange.address@mywork.com

In iTunes I have checked the option to sync my Contacs and the radio button "All contacts" is on. (By the way, I can't even click the only sync groups radio button).

When I sync my iPhone, the only contacts that make it over is the ones in "On My Mac" group (which are two: Apple and myself).

Is it so that the exchange contacts group cannot be synced as normal contact groups?

How can I get all my exchange contacts synced?