Will NYTimes be able to download digital issues for offline viewing?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Roy G Biv, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Roy G Biv macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

I've not seen it stated whether the forthcoming updates will enable this. It would be the sole redeeming factor for me. Anyone know?

2. Rigby macrumors 601

:confused: The NY Times app already does this today. Another news app that can download for offline use is Reuters News Pro. I find these two invaluable when traveling.

3. Roy G Biv thread starter macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

Well, you can bugger off then! :mad:

But, uh....thank you. Thanks, I did not know that.

4. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

Yep, just load it up and it will download the latest stories and they're all accessible online.

Only thing you can't access offline is the videos and some pictures that didn't load etc.

5. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

It is free currently, but is going paid in a day or two.

The top news section will still be free, just have to pay to read the other sections.

This is true for all digital NYT apps and for the website. Website is a bit different--you get 20 free articles per month, but have to subscribe to view more than that per month. With some loopholes like linking to an article from facebook not counting toward your 20 etc.

6. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

Looks like I am still getting full content in NYtimes app on my iPad. I was under impression they were going to only allow access to "top articles" starting March 28.

Is full content still working for everyone else?

7. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The Times paywall went up yesterday afternoon.

If you've been using the Times iPad App, you can still get access to the "Top News" and "Most E-Mailed" articles without a subscription. But access to any of the other sections (ie. business, technology, sports, opinion, etc.) will have a little black square next to it, indicating that a Subscription is required to access the article.

Clicking on one of these sections will take you to a screen which invites you to sign up. Once you do sign up via their (somewhat clumsy) in-App purchasing system, it updates the App to allow full access.

If, however, you've been accessing the New York Times via the website (using Safari) - then you wont hit the paywall till you reach the 20-article threshold. Reaching articles via external links don't generally count towards that 20-article number.