Will O2 sell an iPhone SIM and normal iPhone contract for a US-purchased iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jackonicko, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Jackonicko macrumors newbie

I happened to be in the US the last time that 4 GB iPhones were being sold for $299 on the Apple refurb site. (I saw yesterday that they are being sold for that price again).

£150.

Which seemed like a bargain even for an "iPod Touch Plus".

I'd been thinking about getting a Touch to play with, but the Phone's greater functionality appealed.

So I bought the phone (I had access to a US credit card, and a US address).

I activated via iTunes.

I deliberately failed the credit check and was offered and started a monthly contract (again I had a US credit card and US address that I could use). I used the phone for a day and cancelled, and was left with a fully functioning, legally unlocked iPhone.

I returned to the UK, and have been using it primarily as an e-mail/surfing tool using WiFi.

It's great!

I wouldn't mind getting it working as a UK phone, and have no problem paying O2 £35/pcm for unlimited data and 200 minutes.

But I'd rather not do an illegal or dodgy unlock.

Any advice?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It's a US iPhone locked to AT&T. You simply will not get it to work with an o2 SIM without unlocking it, which they will not help you to do.

3. Nimiety macrumors regular

Interesting question, as I'm sure there are a lot of Canadians wondering if the US-bought iphones they have could ever be fully used (I'm talking visual voicemail) when it is officially released in Canada.

So, assuming the phone is unlocked, will O2 allow the phone to be fully integrated onto its network, despite the fact that the IMEI would have been an AT&T one and not an O2 one?

N.

4. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

I very much doubt it.

5. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Im gonna go out on a limb and say it will work. As long as there's an O2 sim in any iPhone you'll be given an opportunity to transfer the contract on that O2 sim to an iPhone tariff as long as you you're eligible to switch tariff (any contract signed before Sept 18th)

Look here for my recent experience