Will O2 UK let me do this?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Steven Jackson, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Steven Jackson macrumors 6502

Hi,

I currently have a 3G iPhone, bought about a year ago on the day it was released. I can't currently upgrade to a 3GS without either paying a contract termination fee or forking out big money for a pay-as-you go phone.

However, I have a friend with a knackered 1st generation iPhone. He wants to get a new phone, but is unwilling to pay the upgrade fee...

So... here's my idea (he's fine with it, by the way)... He goes to O2, signs a new contract, and gets the new 3GS (costing him £185 for 16gb or £275 for 32gb). I give him the money and my 3G and I get the new 3GS.

He gets a working iPhone without paying anything and I get the new 3GS without paying through the nose or signing a new contract.

Questions:

1) Is this even possible?
    2) Will O2 open the box of the new 3GS, or just hand over the boxed product?
    3) If my friend puts his SIM in my (wiped and reset) 3G, will it work immediately, or will it have to be synced with iTunes?

Cheers,

Steve.

2. petemwah macrumors regular

1) yes this is very possible, and a good idea!
    2) o2 don't open the box
    3) you have to connect to itunes once to activate (if the usb symbol comes up), but it'll work pretty much straight away!

good idea mate!

3. danb77 macrumors 6502

Yeah - ought to work - though he will effectively be paying for your 3GS with his contract, so make sure you buy him a few beers as well!

4. soulghost macrumors regular

The poor guy must be a mug, while you get to keep his brand spanking new 3gs at a bargain price and no contract.......He gets 18 months to pay back £530 to £620 for your battered old 3g.

5. Steven Jackson thread starter macrumors 6502

Hardly. £35 a month over 18 months is £630 - and that's not all going to Apple...

I'm not trying to rip the guy off, this gets us both what we want...

Steve.

6. Dec2k3 macrumors newbie

But for £4 a month more he could effectively get a brand new 3g phone that has warrenty and no min contract (if he went PAYG + simplicity 1 month rolling contract).

[where the four pound comes from: £20pm simplicity x 18 months = £360 + phone £340 = £700
    £700 - £630 = £70 / 18months = £4]

In fairness if he's happy its not a bad deal PROVIDING the phone is in good condition and last for 18 more months (2 and a half years in total). So it is kind of a gamble IMO. If you baught him apple care, which would cover him for a year of that, id say it was a fair deal.

Dec

7. Steven Jackson thread starter macrumors 6502

Good idea. I'll do that...

Steve.