Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eleer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Quick question guys, I'm running Mountain Lion Dev version 4 and I was wondering if I the official Mountain Lion from the app store will just download and replace my Mountain Lion developer version? If not, what do I need to do? Thanks for the help.

chevalier433

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
Quick question guys, I'm running Mountain Lion Dev version 4 and I was wondering if I the official Mountain Lion from the app store will just download and replace my Mountain Lion developer version? If not, what do I need to do? Thanks for the help.
You need to buy the official release.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
You need to buy the official release.

If he have a developer account he doesnt have to buy anything, he gets a token to redeem on the Mac appstore :) atleast that was the case last year and i didnt have to pay for Lion, even if its GM you still need to restore and update with final release or you not gonna be able to update when new comes.

chevalier433

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
If he have a developer account he doesnt have to buy anything, he gets a token to redeem on the Mac appstore :) atleast that was the case last year and i didnt have to pay for Lion, even if its GM you still need to restore and update with final release or you not gonna be able to update when new comes.
If he was a developer we wouldn't ask a question like this.

danb77

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
even if its GM you still need to restore and update with final release or you not gonna be able to update when new comes.

This is incorrect. In the last few releases the GM has been identical to version which shipped and upgraded automatically with no problems at all.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
...even if its GM you still need to restore and update with final release or you not gonna be able to update when new comes.

False. As longer as I've had a developers account, the GM is the final release and there's no need to do a restore. IOW, if you do a restore then install GM, there's no need to do a restore then install the final release.

Eleer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
If he was a developer we wouldn't ask a question like this.

I'm not lying on a Mac forum--I'm an adult with a simple question and needing help. No, I am not a developer, however I do have the developer version of Mountain Lion version 4 and am just needing advice. I just need to know if I need to do anything special before I download Apple's actual release of Mountain Lion from the App store. I was just curious if it would simply overwrite and replace the developer version I am running right now; I simply don't want to mess anything up.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

----------

This is incorrect. In the last few releases the GM has been identical to version which shipped and upgraded automatically with no problems at all.

Thanks for the reply, I am hoping this is the case, though I wasn't sure at first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.