Will older (2006-07) C2D based Macs run significantly better under SL??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DontBurnTheDayy, Aug 27, 2009.

1. DontBurnTheDayy macrumors member

I'm considering running to the Apple Store in Michigan to pick up Snow Leopard ($29 upgrade) to run on my 1st gen MBP 1.83 GHz Core Duo machine.

I know my MBP will only support 32-bit...

... will my Mac see significant improvements under Snow Leopard???

Thanks y'all.

-RC

2. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

Yes it will but not as much as 64-bit, by the way isn't all C2D processors are 64-bit?

3. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Your Mac will definitely see a speed increase in many tasks, as almost the entire OS has been rebuilt. The difference is that, because your Mac (and mine too) are 32-bit, we won't see the EXTRA push that a 64-bit machine could.

Oh well, I'll take what I can get. :)

EDIT: And btw, if your MacBook Pro has an Intel Core 2 Duo processor, then yes -- it's 64 bit capable. The 1st gen MacBook Pros only had a "Core Duo" processor (32 bit), and were released in early 2006.

4. DontBurnTheDayy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Ziggy. Have you installed SL yet?

5. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

I did

6. sammyv macrumors newbie

Same situation here

I have an early 06 iMac, so I'm in a similar situation here. I think it's a CoreDuo.

My hope is that I'll still see speed bumps on startup, shutdown, etc. Worse comes to worse I'll still gain an extra 7 gigs of space and Exchange support - both well worth the 30$.

7. tekio macrumors regular

In day to day use I certainty haven't noticed a big speed increase.

8. shadowfayre macrumors regular

I have been patiently waiting for snow leopard and watching all of the news feeds regarding the new improvements for months. Like the OP, I do have concerns on rather or not my 1G MBP (1,1) would benefit from the upgrade.

The unit does not support 64 bit. It will not support OpenCL. Nor will it support QuickTime H.264 hardware acceleration. It does however have two cores, so in theory GCD would provide some improvement.

Outside the 6GB of free space and some of the other refinements, I am on the fence rather or not to upgrade. At 29 bucks, it seems like a no brainer but 29 bucks is still money (2 months of Netflix or MMORPG gaming) :)

I would personally like to see some benchmarks that shows improvements on older systems and not just assume everyone is using the unibody MBPs.

In the long run, no doubt I will make the purchase, but is it worth it to run down to the store Friday and install it. Will it be worth the hassles it may include (incompatibilities) or other bugs? That I guess is the ultimate question.