Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoneDaddy

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2015
Texas
When I get a sleeve for my Macbooks, I like them snug. The only sleeves I can find on ebay are for unibody, non retina MBs. If I were to buy a 15" non retina sleeve, would my 15" retina have a lot of extra space to slide around (which I don't want)?

Just by looking at the photos of non retina and retina size comparisons, it looks like it will be too loose. Does anyone actually have any experience using older model sleeves on their retinas?

Thanks.

Jozone

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
It will be "loose" -- I use 15'' Incase sleeve from 2009 which definitely has a lot of extra space when my Retina 15'' is in there. It doesn't really bug me however as the inside of the case is soft, so by having a little extra space to move around in, it's still not getting any scratches/dings.

BoneDaddy

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2015
Texas
It will be "loose" -- I use 15'' Incase sleeve from 2009 which definitely has a lot of extra space when my Retina 15'' is in there. It doesn't really bug me however as the inside of the case is soft, so by having a little extra space to move around in, it's still not getting any scratches/dings.

Thank you.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
It'll be very loose. I don't think you'd like it. I have a 15" Incase Neoprene Sleeve that I used for my 2011 15" MacBook Pro. My 2015 rMBP slides all over in it. I don't bother using it really. I guess it still serves as scratch protection, but like you, i prefer a snug fit for these kind of things.

BoneDaddy

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2015
Texas
It'll be very loose. I don't think you'd like it. I have a 15" Incase Neoprene Sleeve that I used for my 2011 15" MacBook Pro. My 2015 rMBP slides all over in it. I don't bother using it really. I guess it still serves as scratch protection, but like you, i prefer a snug fit for these kind of things.
Awesome. Thank you.

BoneDaddy

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2015
Texas
Well the oddest thing happened today. I had placed an order for one and then asked if it was for the retina. I was told it was for the old one, so I cancelled the order. The seller was nice and cancelled the order, but he still sent it and I received it today. So it is an incase canvas coated sleeve, older model. Odd thing is it fits tight as a glove. SO I'm thinking the guy just got it wrong and it IS actually for the retina.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.