iPad Will only Apple retail stores have it on Nov 2nd?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bidoof01, Oct 29, 2012.

1. bidoof01 macrumors newbie

I'm looking to buy one at Best Buy on Nov 2nd since I have a gift card there.

2. DJinTX macrumors 6502

In the past Best Buy has always had some on launch day, although not nearly as many. Also, they tend to not start selling until 5pm or so, whereas Apple begins at 8am. I haven't heard anything specific for this year about Best Buy.

3. bidoof01 thread starter macrumors newbie

5pm? Wow, didn't know that, I'd guess I'd better call to ask before I go in the morning, but I already can anticipate their employees would be as clueless as ever.

4. mmberry1 macrumors member

mmberry1

Best buy is going to sell it at 8am on Friday

5. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I have no idea where you got 5pm from. I picked up the original from best buy at 8:00 am

6. Bokes macrumors 6502

Best Buy will charge you a re-stocking fee if you return.
    Apple store is better.

I expect the mini will be returned by those just curious to compare it to their retina full size.

7. btinl macrumors newbie

Best buy no longer charges a restocking fee.

8. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

Each Best Buy will be lucky to have 5 units to sell on the 2nd. :eek:

9. DJinTX macrumors 6502

I got it from how it played out for the iPad 2 launch. My wife and I lined up about 3pm that day at Best Buy, and they started herding us into the store at 5pm to begin making our purchases.

10. HDJulie macrumors demi-goddess

I had the same experience at Best Buy for the iPad 2 but for some weird reason APPLE was the one who said they had to go on sale at 5 PM & that included their own stores.

I was in Best Buy Sunday & the manager there said they would have stock on Friday. However, he was under the impression that they would have the cellular ones too. He looked at me like I was a martian when I said the cellular models weren't coming out for another couple of weeks :).

11. steve dave macrumors 6502a

That is because Apple mandated that he iPad 2 didn't go on sale until 5pm. That was for every store including Apple stores.

12. MacinTosh.0 macrumors member

Best Buy near me says they are selling them early morning. I asked what time exactly and he couldn't give me a firm answer.

13. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

14. DJinTX macrumors 6502

That's fine. I wasn't commenting on the reason it happened, but rather how it played out for that launch.

15. steve dave macrumors 6502a

No you weren't. You were saying that someone shouldn't go to best buy because they sell things later than the apple store.

16. T4R06 macrumors 65816

BB return is 45days if you are a premier member. no restocking fee

17. DJinTX macrumors 6502

Thanks for using your Psychic powers to read my mind and state my purpose (incorrectly), now stop being an ******.

I was in no way telling anyone not to shop at BestBuy, as that is where I chose to get our iPad2. There was very little wait there compared to the Apple Store and it worked out great. I was simply providing factual information on my purchase experience from the past.

18. urkel macrumors 68030

Wow. So much misinformation here.

- Best Buy starts selling at 8AM (Its on their site)
    - Best Buy's 5PM releases coincided with Apple's 5PM releases. That was APPLES decision
    - Best Buy offers 30day returns no restocking fee (60day for Reward Zone Silver)
    - Best Buy inventory is reliant on how big their market is. They wont have as much as Apple but if you go early then it shouldnt be an issue

Dont think I'm defending BB here or anything because I sympathize with those who've had problems with them (especially with iPhone preorders). But IF you are willing to accept that $7.50/hr teenagers are not computer experts or that they try to hard sell you warranties then you will be able to see some major benefits from shopping there. 2yr payment options with Best Buy card. Reward Zone Silver extended 60day return policies. Open Box deals (I got my 64GB iPad3 for $550 and my trade-in for Amazon is $575). More locations so more manageable lines than Apple.

I dont love Best Buy but I sure use the hell out of them.

19. steve dave macrumors 6502a

Those aren't facts, though. There was no wait between best buy and the apple store. Neither sold the ipad 2 until 5pm on the day of release.

20. DJinTX macrumors 6502

Let's review what I stated....

1. In the past Best Buy has always had some on launch day, although not nearly as many (as Apple).
    Presented as fact, and is true.

2. I haven't heard anything specific for this year about Best Buy.
    Presented as fact, and is true.

3. I got it from how it played out for the iPad 2 launch. My wife and I lined up about 3pm that day at Best Buy, and they started herding us into the store at 5pm to begin making our purchases.
    Presented as fact and is true.

4. Also, they (Best Buy) tend to not start selling until 5pm or so, whereas Apple begins at 8am.
    Presented not as fact, but related to my single iPad launch experience. I never claimed this was true for every launch.

I may have formed an incorrect assumption (item #4), but I never tried to mislead or influence anyone's purchase. I think it is completely clear that I was only trying to be helpful.

With that said, you can now stop trying to stir up trouble.

21. BLOND37 macrumors 6502a

will apple stores have ipad mini to sell at 8am on 11-2?

22. DJinTX macrumors 6502

Yes they will have some ready for launch on Friday. I just wonder how many units and how long their supply will last, as I won't be able to go by the store until after work on Friday. This launch is a bit harder to guess at for me as far as how much interest there will be. Could be long lines, or very short. I think frequenting MacRumors has distorted my perception on how many people are after a mini. Hopefully either Apple or Best Buy will have one for me, but we'll see.

23. BLOND37 macrumors 6502a

thanks :) i plan to get there @ 5am.. but i read here they wont sell until 5pm.. is that correct?

24. steve dave macrumors 6502a

Holy crap... They will sell it when they open!!!!!!!

25. BLOND37 macrumors 6502a

lol i just want to be sure i get one.. and i admit total fan boy here..i know for iPhone 3 i got there at 6am and was # 25 in line