Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kimovski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
Macau
Since the machine is not "user upgradeable". But i wanted to open it to clean some dust monthly just like i did for my past mbp.

Is fine to open to do it? or will void the warranty?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
It contains no user serviceable parts...Read the fine print..opening WILL void your warranty...Leave it to Apple, if you have your Mac in a case, interior dust should not become an issue, particularly in such a new machine.

I use a Speck clear shell on my MBP and my MBA, I just take them off once a month and clean with a micro-fibre cloth.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
It would come down to whether or not they can tell it's been opened. Note that they're using pentalobe screws on the bottom. These are used by Apple for non user serviceable parts. These are anti-tamper screws. If you strip them with a cheap driver, it's possible that it will be difficult to get your machine serviced. If you went past pentalobe or triwing (Y-type) screws on your prior macbook pro, that was no different. Anytime you see anything beyond phillips, slots, or torx screws, it's not meant to be taken apart by the user.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.