Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Super Xander

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Denmark
Hi forum
I've a 16-inch MacBook Pro, and I wonder if opening the back to clean up the fans from dust with compressed air will affect my guarantee in anyway?

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Just don't let the fans spin while blowing them out. The compressed air can cause them to spin at speeds far greater than they were designed to handle.

Reactions: me55

dapa0s

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2019
Yeah, are you sure you need to dust it out? If you only had it for a few months I doubt you need to clean it already.

Reactions: me55

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Hi forum
I've a 16-inch MacBook Pro, and I wonder if opening the back to clean up the fans from dust with compressed air will affect my guarantee in anyway?
Only if you damage something in the process.

teidon

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
I wonder if opening the back to clean up the fans from dust with compressed air will affect my guarantee in anyway?
Depends on where you live. By my understanding in most parts of USA opening up your devices is fine - and it's actually illegal for manufactures to say otherwise. But in most/many parts of the rest of the world opening your devices will void the warranty. In my country if you for example purchase a desktop computer, there's a good chance it has stickers so that you can't open the case without voiding the warranty. Which means that if the machine has some free expansion slots... you can't use them without voiding the warranty.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Funny - I don't see a service procedure for replacing the SSD on a 2019 16" MBP, and I'm looking on Apple's service site...

Hi, sorry it was late at night when I wrote that - MacBook Pros and MacBooks from 2011-2015 you can replace the SSD, 13 inch 2016 you can also, but it’s hard. 2017-16 inch need not bother because it’s soldered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.