Will OS Mojave improve my working 2010 Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rjtiedeman, Sep 25, 2018.

1. rjtiedeman macrumors 6502

Will I see improved performance from my Mac Pro or will it slow down my machine with cosmetic dark mode and stuff that my cMP doesn't have the components to utilize? My 2010 6 core 5,1 has had all the standard upgrades. It just won't go any faster. The question is will Mojave be the last straw?

2. marioliv66@ macrumors member

Hello, hard for me to tell you whether or not the Mac Pro 5.1 will go faster with Mojave. I just spent the day with Mojave and actually it is more responsive and more stable than High Sierra. But for now I re-installed some applications as and when my needs.
    By cons I feel an improvement with the GPU Sapphire RX 580, it is displayed at 5 ghz (2.5 ghz before with High Sierra) and seems to accelerate more the finder.

I already find this first version of Mojave more successful than High Sierra (all versions) which is very good.

Note however that my wifi card is no longer recognized, however, from memory it was not in the list of unrecognized cards.

3. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

On my 5,1 it’s certainly not slower than High Sierra. Opening windows and apps in Finder seems a little faster but not all the time. Redrawing is slightly faster too. It’s just been a few days so still hard to tell. You’ll get, I think, at least the same performance as HS. Dark mode is completely harmless.

4. marioliv66@, Sep 26, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  5. h9826790 macrumors G5

h9826790

That "accelerate more the Finder" most likely has nothing about 5GT/s link speed, but better optimisation on using Metal.

Anyway, my feeling is pretty much the same. Mojave is more responsive that High Sierra overall.

6. pl1984 macrumors 68020

Unless there's a specific feature in Mojave that you know will improve your workflow it's unlikely it will do so.

7. marioliv66@ macrumors member

yes indeed, I did not specify ;)

8. rjtiedeman thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a Mac Edition GeForce GTX 680 which is supported but only has 2048MB GDDR5. I do not have a modified RX580 like you do. Will this make a difference?

9. tomscott1988 macrumors 6502a

tomscott1988

Moving from sierra to HS basically rejuvenated my mac pro with the RX580. If its supported and its meant to be under the hood improvements I cant see it hurting. Lightroom went from being almost unusable to feeling like a new machine.