Will OS X turn into anything like Windows 8 at some point?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Danform, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Danform macrumors newbie

I was thinking this could unfortunately be possible, tablets are becoming more and more powerful and already alot of people use tablets as there main PC, what are your thoughts.

I do not want this to happen however I think it might.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Seems like it's turning into something like that now... ;)

3. Danform thread starter macrumors newbie

4. benwiggy macrumors 68020

When asked if Apple was planning to merge its tablet and laptop products, much as Microsoft is proceeding with Windows 8, Cook responded with a quip: “You can converge a toaster and a refrigerator, but those aren’t going to be pleasing to the user.”

You can expect interface elements, controls and metaphors to become increasingly similar on the two OSes, but OS X is not going to "become" iOS. I think the hysteria of "OMG, Mountain Lion makes my computer an iPhone" is overdone, to say the least.

What is it particularly that you don't want to happen?

5. Danform thread starter macrumors newbie

Basically how windows 8 has happened, took windows 7 which was a decent OS and completely ruined it,

Also how do u get it to have them devices under your post?

6. simsaladimbamba

[​IMG]

7. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Once you install Start 8, Windows 8 becomes much much better than Windows 7. It's faster, better boot times, great new features (like pausing file transfer), etc...

Honestly, if Apple could do to OS X what Microsoft did for Windows, I would be a happy camper.

8. Danform thread starter macrumors newbie

Same haha, I think OS X 9 will be faster hopefully

Thanks for signature thing.

9. r0k, May 6, 2013
    Last edited: May 6, 2013

r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I think you mean 10.9. OS 9 was what we had before OSX over 10 years ago. :eek:

And no Apple isn't going to copy anything stupid. If anything it seems like MS is trying to copy Apple by trying to unify their OS. I believe it's common knowledge that OSX and iOS share a lot in common only Apple has kept a clear line between the two. Even the latest "iOS-ification" of OSX with Launchpad and Gatekeeper are easily overridden or ignored by the user. I doubt Apple plans to add touchscreens to their laptops when Apple's touchpads are such excellent devices. I used a 2008 Macbook for years after Apple came out with multitouch and I never realized how great they were until I upgraded last fall to a MBP with a full gesture-supporting trackpad. I got used to it in almost no time at all. I still have my BT mouse on my desk powered off. I only power it on when I'm manipulating pixels in Gimp.

10. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

I think the bigger question is: will Apple ever create a touch optimized OS that has the power of OS X?

This is not meant to be a knock on iOS which is great for content consumption on consumer tablets. But I think what windows 8 was trying to do (keyword being try) is make a touch optimized full OS.

I think maybe 5 years from now we should see Apple trying to have a touch optimized Pro device that gives the kind of flexibility any traditional computer might have. I'm not sure exactly how this would work but I do sometimes find myself wishing I could have everything my Macbook air offers but in a form factor that is easier to pull out during my morning commute or read from when I'm not at a desk etc.

By Pro OS I mainly mean real multi-tasking (more than 1 app viewable at the same time which I don't think even windows 8 really does that well), a user accesible file system, I/O ports, and the ability to get your applications from sources besides Apple. Again, not knocking iOS devices, but I wouldn't want a macbook air that didn't come with these things and I think there is room for a touch enabled device that does.

11. emptysoul macrumors regular

Indeed. Windows 8 is a superb OS once you get used to the weird start screen (or just ignore it altogether using 3rd party apps).

OSX still doesn't even have a decent, intuitive file browser IMO.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Both Microsoft and Apple need to improve the OS to meet changing needs and give reasons to upgrade, i.e., revenue source. MS tried a single product for desktops, tablets and phones. That's not working so well in terms of the interface and user acceptance.

Apple is moving in that direction as well, so lets hope they see what happened to MS when they made a radical change to the UI

13. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I think they already have - removal of Expose in Lion, terrible terrible multi-monitor support for 2 releases now, and iOSification over real features - and people are jumping ship. I know many pros who are fed up with the multi-monitor crap, and I personally stopped using OS X between 10.7 and 10.8 due to expose alone. And they too are backtracking, if the 10.9 rumors are to be believed.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

We have to wait and see if that progression is moving forward in 10.9 but since apple moved a number of engineers off the OSX team to the iOS team, apple will probably not provide any news on 10.9 for some time. Maybe a mention that its coming but no beta at WWDC

15. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

I agree with you that Windows 8 minus everything formerly known as Metro is an excellent OS.

I'd be happy if Apple made 10.9 an under the hood fix for speed, bugs, and feature fixes like proper multi-monitor support. Kind of like Windows 8 would have been without the Metro debacle.

I find Windows Explorer to be a bit busy for my tastes. Hopefully Finder is improved but I wouldn't hold my breath for anything other than minor changes like tabs.