Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Lastly, Microsoft cannot compete with that. Microsoft could never make Windows updates free, because they are a software company. They live off that profit.

Microsoft DEFINITELY doesn't live off consumer sales of Windows. They make very little money there, and if they started offering Windows for free, it wouldn't affect them very much. Microsoft makes most of their money from business stuff. See this article.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
Summer in Apple speak usually means middle of September.

I wouldn't normally argue with this but some developers claim that Mountain Lion is further ahead in the developer versions released than Lion was hence greater likelihood of early July release. Which would coincidentally also match the start of the back to school campaign?

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
I propose a new model -- customers should be paid for upgrading to Mountain Lion.

My experience is that every new cat breaks enough software and causes enough disruption that this cost is far more than Apple charges for the upgrade. Going to annual upgrades, even at free, will cost me far more than the biannual $29 upgrades did. It's the same problem that Firefox has gotten into (how many people like its new short upgrade cycle that breaks all the plugins every time?) or the frequent upgrades of Linux distros.

Can't we have an upgrade that fixes bugs (there are plenty of Lion bugs still around), maybe adds features, but doesn't remove features or break existing applications?

Or would that just be a "service pack"?

Never had any issues with any update and been using since 10.4 sorry if you had problems

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I wouldn't normally argue with this but some developers claim that Mountain Lion is further ahead in the developer versions released than Lion was hence greater likelihood of early July release. Which would coincidentally also match the start of the back to school campaign?

In the press release Apple said late summer.

The Economist

Suspended
Apr 4, 2011
Mexico
Microsoft DEFINITELY doesn't live off consumer sales of Windows. They make very little money there, and if they started offering Windows for free, it wouldn't affect them very much. Microsoft makes most of their money from business stuff. See this article.

Windows is Microsoft's second biggest source of revenue, which are sold as licenses in every new computer. Unless you are talking about Windows copies found on shelves.

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011
To add to this, you ever wonder what the PC manufacturers get paid to install bloatware on their systems? That would help the manufacturer make a profit at low prices.

Haha. How dare they lower the price for you by putting in software that can easily be removed. #applestans.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
Haha. How dare they lower the price for you by putting in software that can easily be removed. #applestans.

Apparently many people are happy to pay more to lose the software without doing it themselves. Best Buy sells a service to clean new computers of crapware like hotcakes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.