Will Otterbox/Life Proof cases be obsolete soon?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ngocnguyen, Jul 29, 2013.

1. ngocnguyen macrumors member

All this talk and new development in nanocoating and water proofing mobile electronics....

Rustoleum has a two-part paint coating that has been shown waterproofing iPhones.

Liquipel

Underwater Audio

The new Sony Xperia smart phone is completely water and dust proof.

Samsung S4 is water proof

I'm sure the new iPhone will be.

Once all smart phones are water proofed, what lies in the future for Otterbox? Everyone knows they can't design an attractive case. What advantage will they have other than maybe providing additional water proofing and ruggedness? Any case you put on one of these water proof phones will pretty much do what Otterbox does...but will look better.

Otterbox/Lifeproof must've seen this coating technology coming...it's going to make them obsolete unless they really change their business model around. Probably a really good thing Lifeproof accepted the buy out.

2. scott99 macrumors 6502a

You would still need shockproofing and protection for the easily cracked iphone screen.

3. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I was thinking about this the other day briefly.

Prior to the first iPhone I had a treo 700wx and many nextels before that. I did spend a lot on belt clips/ swivel holsters.

Seidio spring-clip is still my favorite holster and lifeproof makes the best looking holster in my opinion. Too bad it only works with their case.

I think holsters and carriers will always be popular as phones seldom come with one, but as devices before more rugged. Cases won't be used as much.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I'm just as sure the new iPhone won't be

5. ngocnguyen thread starter macrumors member

right...no doubt about that...but now what is going to separate Otterbox from any other case other than levels of shock protection..their cases are still hideous. So many other cases can provide adequate shock protection AND be stylish.

----------

very interesting thought....even more minimalist with no case but an accessory such as holsters...maybe sleeves? (that's kinda cumbersome though and restricts getting to your phone when and incoming call comes)

6. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

Not everyone shares your taste. I used a black Commuter and thought it looked great on my 4S.

7. ngocnguyen thread starter macrumors member

I know..just my opinion...design and aesthetics can be subjective

8. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Wrong! only the S4 Active is water resistant not the S4.

9. scott99 macrumors 6502a

Mike,

I'm with ya, Seidio's holsters are the best. I had several Seidio cases for my prior iPhones (iPhone, iPhone 3G & iPhone 4), and the holsters were amazing. I even have the Seidio Obex case for my iPhone 5, and spent the extra $10 for the holster combo. IF I didn't have a problem with the Obex's call quality, I'd still be rockin that case and holster.

10. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Adequate's subjective for one thing. Our guys that work in the field would consider an Otterbox's shock protection to be a minimum requirement. There will always be those that prioritize impact protection over all else. Don't just assume that your priorities are universal no matter what the topic.

Not "can be". They are. And if it's just your opinion, don't use "everyone knows X".

11. afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

As long as there are mobile phones being used, people will find ways to damage them and in turn place them in large, generic, but ultimately effective protective cases.

I don't care for them, but for some people their ratio of risk is too high to not use one

12. davidra macrumors 6502

13. afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

wow. talk about false advertising!

14. jmlee111 macrumors newbie

Otterbox and Lifeproof are great for mobile workforce who need a rugged solution.

Still looking forward to seeing more leather case selections for business profiessionals, great leather cases are hard to come by, especially ones that match well with suits and tie. Any suggestions?

15. rrcompton macrumors member

You aren't lying! I would be pi**ed if it was damaged by water and they didn't honor the warranty. So much for "whatever-proof". Guess you have to read the fine print in their warranty;

What is not covered?
    "This Limited Warranty is conditioned upon proper use of the Product. This Limited Warranty does not cover:
    (a) defects or damage resulting from accident, misuse, abnormal use, abnormal conditions, improper storage, exposure to liquid, moisture, dampness, sand or dirt"

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/s...d_mdl_cd=SGH-I537ZAAATT&prd_mdl_name=SGH-I537