Will over-heating cause an issue in rMBPs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Good User, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Good User, Nov 20, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2014

Good User macrumors member

Good User

I have a 13 inch late 2013 macbook pro and I have to use windows, unfortunately windows makes this laptop hot, and even with slightest use the temperature raise is obvious, actually it works cooler than my sister's 4 year old sony vio, but I don't want it to toast sooner than 6 years at least, I don't know whether cpu and graphics are reasonably cooled or not in these tiny laptops, I have read about 2011 MacBooks that fail due to heat, could these retina MacBooks also fail due to heat? for example in ifixit I saw that heat sink is not on the cpu and gpu, could this burn them sooner than normal time? any information?

2. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

While too much heat is never a good thing, I think you'll be alright. Do you know what temperature your computer reaches when you use Windows? Download iStats if you don't have an application to measure the temperature of the CPU.

Also, what has caused so many of the 2011s to perish has to do with the discrete AMD GPUs, perhaps bad soldering and too much thermal paste.

Your 13" only has integrated graphics. One of the few benefits of having a machine without a discrete card is that there's one fewer way of it dying.

3. sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

I have a Macbook pro 2010 with nvidia graphics. I have been using it for 4 years and playing intense graphic games on windows almost every day. Every time I play, the fans hit 6000 RPM and back gets really hot but it keeps working like a charm! So as long as the machine is well ventilated, you're fine!.

4. nerowolfe macrumors member

It never hurts to replace the thermal paste between the CPU and heatsink + the occasional fans cleaning.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Overheating. That word, I don't think it means what you think it does.

If the computer has not reached the temperature where it shuts itself down to prevent damage to itself, it has not overheated.Therefore, it is safe to assume your computer has never overheated, and likely never will.

Your computer is doing just fine at taking care of itself. Let it do its thing.

The 2011's do not fail due to heat. They fail due to heat cycling, which is a whole other story. Things that heat up expand, and things that cool down contract. (Computer goes to sleep for a few hours, is woken up to work, put back to sleep, etc). All that expanding and contracting affects the lead-free welds that keep the graphics card in place physically and electrically. When one of those welds fail, the laptop dies.

6. paolo- macrumors 6502a

The components will not overheat, per se. If the CPU or GPU gets close to it's maximum allowable operating temperature, it will slow itself down. While this means the components won't die, it means that you can expect an rMBP to slow down, or throttle when running intensive applications for a long period of time.

As snaky69 has mentioned, it is believed that the 2011 dGPU problem is due to thermal cycling. The expansion and contraction of the components and the solder causes failure in fatigue. This is similar to slightly bending a spoon back and forth until it breaks.

I doesn't seem like the retina macbook pros have a large scale problem with GPUs failing so I would think you'll be fine. With that said, Apple doesn't have the greatest track record for reliability with it's dedicated graphics cards. However, running laptop components right against the junction temperature seems to be the industry standard for laptops right now. IMHO, it's possibly not the best practice and I wouldn't expect the same kind of reliability out of a laptop then a workstation desktop.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're not already doing so, use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your temps, fan speeds, etc., rather than relying on your sense of touch or sound. A forum member has posted a copy of iStat Pro that has been "tweaked" to enhance compatibility with recent OS X versions. You can download it here.
    The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C (221F), GPU Tjmax = 100C (212F) on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel)
    Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.
    It is also quite normal for your Mac to become extremely hot to the touch during intensive operations. The aluminum body transfers heat more effectively than other materials used in computer casings, so you will feel the heat more. This doesn't indicate that it's overheating and will not harm the computer to be hot to the touch.
    The fans in Macs are always on when the Mac is on, spinning at a minimum speed which varies by Mac model. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If your fans are spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help.)
    The intake and exhaust vents are in the back of the computer near the hinge on all Mac notebooks (except the new MBP with retina display, which has intake vents along the sides at the bottom). The iMac vent is on the back of the computer. Make sure the vents remain unblocked to allow your computer to perform at its best. For Flash-related issues:

8. blooperz macrumors 6502

Besides voiding the warranty and potentially frying your computer if you don't know what you're doing ;)

9. nerowolfe macrumors member

That's a valid point, but where in my reply have I mentioned that *he* should do the replacing and cleaning? Take the computer to Apple, and ask that the thermal paste be replaced and fans cleaned. Matter of fact I'd recommend that any macbook owner do that every two years or so.