Will OWC Aura Pro prices come down now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rb98765, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Rb98765 macrumors newbie

Now that apple has lowered their prices on ssds, will OWC follow suit? Really want a 500 gb ssd, but the prices are insane..

2. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

Isn't OWC pretty much the only game in town when it comes to upgrading retina MBP SSDs? Prices are always getting lower with new developments, but OWC isn't competing with Apple as a parts supplier. It could always happen, but I strongly doubt that they'll adjust their pricing of a component just because Apple adjusted the pricing of their computers.

3. F1 Fan macrumors regular

F1 Fan

4. robvas macrumors 68020

5. F1 Fan macrumors regular

F1 Fan

True but surely a sign of things to come...?

6. robvas macrumors 68020

OWC hasn't used Marvell controller-based drives in the past, so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

7. walkie macrumors 6502

8. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

We want them to, but they wont because they are the only available store.
    They have barely to no competitors on rMBP SSD so they set their prices high.

9. chapinbk, Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2013

chapinbk macrumors member

but how long, really

So, all of this is fine and good. When I bought my 2012 baseline rMBP, I was aware of the risks -- that I might have to wait a good long time to upgrade the hdd, if at all.

But how long are we really talking here? OWC is/has been the only game in town, and sounds like it will remain that way for the foreseeable future. Will it be one year, maybe two years before new ssd advancements drive down prices on rMBP compatible drives?

From the Micron investor press release link:
    So let's presume ~$.60/gig becomes the new price-point for ssd's by the end of this year, OWC can't be TOO far behind, can they? Or will Micron/Crucial have a monopoly on the cheaper tech for years, with two distinct classes of ssd on the market -- the new/cheap ones with limited controller support and the old/expensive ones? :confused:

10. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It might never happen. Apple is using a proprietary connector. This means it's a smaller market, which may not represent much of an investment opportunity for larger companies. It addresses people who wish to upgrade or replace failed parts on a couple very specific models, and they have to be aware of solutions other than Apple as well as comfortable opening one of these. You can't even easily peek at the insides as they use Y type screws rather than something you'd find in a generic screwdriver set. I would not count on any other company to release options unless they specifically announce them.

11. chapinbk macrumors member

Do all Apple computers use the Marvell hdd controller? Will the price of OTHER Other World Computing ssd's come down, or are all of their prices insulated from downward market pressure by proprietary Apple tech?

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I've seen the MacBook Air proprietary SSDs come down in price, so I imagine the Aura Pro would come down with some time.

13. SvK macrumors 6502

SvK

its not worth it ...OWC and Apple one are the same read/write speeds.

14. Ploki macrumors 68000

false

15. SvK, Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2013

SvK macrumors 6502

SvK

True:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura_Pro_Retina_2012

I called them up and asked them to sell me on it. They couldn't. The read / write speeds are the same, not only that, the 480 is the largest they offer, when you can order the rMBP with a 768 gig 6g SSD ( which I have ).

OWC is a great company, but updating the SSD of your rMBP is a serious waste of coin.

Addendum: I have to eat crow on write speeds. There the Aura shines.....However ( and this is crucial ) IF you are an Audio Pro and are using your SSD to stream ( read ) huge sample libraries, there they are virtually identical in speed, so then why not opt for the 768 from apple.

best,
    SvK

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Probably because for the price difference you can get an additional 512GB SSD to use in a Thunderbolt enclosure.