Will PC function keys work when I dual boot?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by insignificantMB, Aug 19, 2011.

1. insignificantMB macrumors member

I am thinking of buying a wireless keyboard so that I will have pc function keys. Have to grind on excel sometimes and the mac just doesnt cut it in terms of shortcuts.

If I buy the keyboard for my mac, will I be able to use the F2 key for example (without pressing fn), while dual booting even if the keyboard I am buying has mac/pc functionality.

2. unixperience, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2011

unixperience macrumors regular

your pc keyboard will work as expected in windows... i don't mean pc keyboard so much as not SPECIFICALLY made for apple keyboard

as for how those keys work in osx.... no idea... never tried....

your mac keyboard will work fine in windos. in bootcamp there is a setting where you decide how to use the function keys, as f# keys or as system keys. ant then pressing the fn key will do the other option. mapping of a a wired aluminum keyboard is a "bit" strange. you can set the function keys, you can also swap the control and window key (notice that on a mac and pc keyboard these two keys are basically swapped so doing keyboard shortcuts can get a little messy sometimes) the num lock button is the "clear" button, and printscreen is f14

EDIT: as far as i know, all generic keyboards are basically mac/windows compatible never seen one that isn't. the key position and mappings might be a bit strange..... but they will work for general purpose. extra keys, such as... open email, media keys, etc, won't always work correctly, but the general keys will

3. insignificantMB thread starter macrumors member

thanks!

what about buttons like page up, home etc