Will PC memory work in a mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MattMK45, Dec 25, 2009.

1. MattMK45 macrumors regular

I was wondering what kind of ram I need to purcahse for my powerbook g4. I looked at the crucial website, however the prices are rather steep and being the cheapskate I am, i tried to find cheaper ram. Then i found some bargains, however I was wondering whether mac specific ram will be the only memory to work or will pc ram work as well.

2. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

Any ram will work as long as it's compatible.

To be honest crucial and kingston ram i would deffo pay that extra. But i can understand the money situation

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. MattMK45 thread starter macrumors regular

i was just looking around on amazon and ebay, it would be easier than upgrading the hdd but not neccessarily cheaper. Hopefully i will get both done soon

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You're going to be limited to 2 GB if both slots are working. Adding a 1 GB stick of RAM isn't going to be that expensive. Adding a new hard drive is a bit of a pain but it can be done.

I'd save up for a new MacBook or MacBook Pro to be honest. Even the newest PowerBook G4 is about to hit 4 years old.

6. MattMK45 thread starter macrumors regular

well i've just purchased this powerbook and am completley sold. I would like to get as much life out of it as possible, evevn though I would love an intel machine

7. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Would a 17" powerbook G4 1.33ghz benefit going to 2 gigabytes of memory from one, if it's just used for websurfing and email? It's running Leopard. (10.5.8)

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

How much do you have right now? Getting more than 1 GB of RAM is a must.

9. alent1234 macrumors 603

someone gave me a G4 Mac Mini and i found an old 1GB RAM chip for it at work where we only have PC's. the 512MB I took i out i put into an old EMachines PC i rebuilt for family. all works fine

10. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

1 GB in it now. I was over a friend's house on Xmas and wasn't sure if the internet slowness was due to the G4 or the memory.