Will PCs work with ACD?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Canuckistan, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Canuckistan macrumors member

Hello,

I'm about to buy a frshly-minted MBP (13 or 15) and an Apple Cinema Display. My wife is about to buy a PC laptop and we'd like to know if a PC laptop is compatible with the Apple Cinema Display.

What cables would be required to have a happy marriage between the two empires?

2. mac2x macrumors 65816

You need a DVI to Mini DisplayPort adapter. ;) Or maybe that's the other way around...but anyway the ACD uses Mini DisplayPort.

3. Transporteur macrumors 68030

You should provide a little more information than that.

Which ACD?
    Which PC laptop?

First thing you have to ensure is that the PC laptop has at least a DVI port. If it has only a VGA port, you have no chances to hook up either a 30" or a 24" LED ACD.

If it has a DVI port you can at least connect a 24" LED Cinema. This display requires are DVI - miniDP adapter, which is about 150$ IIRC.
    If you're considering to connect a 30" ACD, your PC laptop has to provide a DualLink DVI signal.
    To connect a 30" to a current generation MBP, you need the Apple miniDP - DualLink DVI adapter for 100$.

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

Monoprice is a good place to find adapters, and have a few (here). There's even MDP to VGA. BTW, they do ship to Canada. :)

But without specifics, I'm not posting specific ones, as the gender could be backwards.