Will Penryn and following generation fit in a current Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by netdog, Dec 27, 2007.

1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Will the coming Penryn processors (8-core) and the following generation work in a current mac pro? I know that they are expecting a slightly faster FSB, but will they work if one drops them in? The sockets are the same, yes?

2. Mac.Jnr macrumors member

I'm not sure but I'd say No. I think you can change CPU's if they are the same chipset but if it's a different chipset you can't.

3. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

There is absolutely no guarantee that it will work in the current Mac Pro.
    The Bensley chipset does support a 1.333Mhz Front Side Bus but the custom motherboard in the Mac Pro may not. Usually a bios update has to be applied which is something that is not going to happen from Apple's side.

Even though the socket is the same, it is no indication that it will be compatible.

4. dusanv macrumors 6502

Man, we got some experts here. Too bad there aren't any options to ignore on this forum.

Mac Pro supports the 1333 MHz FSB (in fact, your FSB is running at 1333 MHz right now). The new chips should work just fine (Intel promised as much a year ago). Someone here ordered a pair of Penryns from Newegg. Hopefully they'll report back.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Penryn is a sexy drop-in to the current motherboards.

My G33 motherboard craves an upgrade as well.

6. Roy macrumors 6502

It does make one wonder why the person hasn't reported back with his successful upgrade and boasting about having the fastest Mac Pro in the land. Just makes one wonder.............

7. newtech macrumors 6502

Unless he installed X5460's or E5450's he would not have the fastest Mac pro in the land, the extra cache helps but does not of itself make for record speeds. X5482 and X5472 do not enjoy support for their 1600 MHz FSB on current hardware ( 5000X chipset max FSB is 1333 MHz ).

8. Roy macrumors 6502

I don't believe you could convince him that his inflated ego was not justified. But, then again, I wonder why we haven't heard back from him......

9. dusanv macrumors 6502

He ordered a couple of days ago. Being Christmas time and all, it may take a while to get stuff. But I'm pretty sure it'll work fine.

10. G4DP macrumors 65816

If we get one

That's if we even get a MacPro anytime soon.

This ultrauless-portable is going to take a huge amount of the Keynote. The new iTunes - Fox movie deal will be a big announcement with updates to both iTMS and Quicktime etc. This also ties in nicely for Apple to release new monitors. Space is running out.

The only way I can now see the MacPro getting an update will be the silent way. Which means that it won't be anything special. Maybe a Penryn Xeon update, but to make all the changes many of us want/expect I would have though Steve would have wanted to make a song and dance about it.

11. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

That's not Penryn processors...

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

True but the installation procedure is the same. :p